Any brides regretted having a too simple ROM/wedding?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jax
    Junior Member Jax is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Any brides regretted having a too simple ROM/wedding?

I initially wanted to have a ROM and a sit down dinner after that with relatives and my friends in a beautiful setting. We have even managed to find the ideal place that both me n bf really likes. But now, due to many reasons such as parents, traditions, and all sorts of "things we shld do", I've decided to just have a solemnisation with a buffet in a restaurant and only invite relatives, not inviting any friends.

I'm convinced that in terms of costs and expenses, this will be a better way, less things to prepare, and less stressful too. but at the same time worried that one day I will regret that I didn't get to celebrate the occasion with my friends. Any advice from past experiences?

Senior Member blur blur gal is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    actually i would like my wedding to b like urs..As marriage is only the start of the journey no use waste soo much money on wedding when we need to deal wif upcoming things like single income family once have kids, reno for new hse etc.

Junior Member danielgcb is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    if cost is an issue, you might want to look at holding the event at chinese restaurant that offers decent ROM sit down lunch or dinner. One venue you might want to consider is Mouth Restaurant located along the street level of South Bridge Road, which is within CBD. Their VIP room caters up to 4 tables for solemnisation. If you are looking at small wedding function, this Chinese Restaurant is flexible in allowing the wedding couple to book the whole restaurant exclusively.

Junior Member Kikele is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Jax, I also wanted a beautiful setting like what you wanted. But due to cost constraint I might need to do it in a chinese restaurant instead of a hotel with garden setting. I also hope I will not regret my decision

Junior Member Cherylx is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    From my point of view, this is a one in a lifetime thing and if I'm you.. I will invite my friends if cost is not a factor for you.

Junior Member llkasumill is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Having a few friends around will be better. At least invite yours and hubby's bffs, its like adding another table or 2?

Member ladyinwhite is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    i want a small ROM too, but im scared i will regret. marrying is once in a lifetime.. good thing is that you can have a simple ROM first, think about your banquet later and see if you want to have a grand banquet then.

Junior Member jojodz is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Once in a life time experience, money can earn back. Plan with too much restrictions spoil the wedding mood.

Junior Member Muffy is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I also think since it's a once in a lifetime thing brides should do it properly. I know it must be stressful as I recently helped plan a wedding for my best friend. But when the wedding is over, she told me it was worth all the effort, and lucky she didn't do it the simple way.

My other advice is that you also find a good team for your wedding photos, I had a friend who regretted going for a cheaper photography team and ended up with bad pictures.

Jax
    Junior Member Jax is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    thanks everyone for all the advice! managed to weigh our priorities and sort out my thoughts. almost done with all the wedding preps now! left with the little things such as wedding car rental n printing of wedding invites... =)

Junior Member foreverment is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    To my wife and myself, we had a rather small (i should say manageable) ROM dinner, followed by the actual wedding!

Junior Member Kellicious is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi,

I am having a very simple ROM too in April next year. Just ROM at the Registry of Marriage & a 1 table dinner at No Signboard Seafood @ Esplanade. It's just for family and 1-2 friends only. I feel that marriage is between the 2 of us, as long as we are happy, I do not see the need to splurge just because I need to involve my other relatives. So for me, the simpler the better, after the wedding, we go straight for our honeymoon and enjoy~! And the wedding costs below 6K inclusive of our wedding rings.

ZSW
    Member ZSW is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Last year we did our ROM at ROM itself and just had a high tea with both families. At night, met up with close friends for a dinner. Simple and cost savings. We initially wanted to book a pool side venue and invite friends but it will cost us $10k to do that.

But this year we are having the main wedding dinner with all relatives and friends. Though I always wanted a beach wedding and simple with just a few friends, as i start planning and tried on the wedding gown, i know i will regret if i didn't do the full works.

So I am glad we did it though we are spending lots of $ and time on it.

Of course we are just like any other couple with limited $ and our home reno cost us a bomb. So for the past 2 years we have no savings cos all go to our home and now our wedding..

Junior Member Zerika is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi all, im facing the same problem as me n my bf is going to get married 2014 and ROM in 2013 Jan first. I do so is coz i wanna save more $ for renov the hse and get a roof over our head before the trad wedding dinner. money is still the main concern i guess. i do not wanna have debts before our wedding and ended up quarrelling all day long.

So for me, my rom will be at the ROM place den simple both side family for lunch in Jan 2013.
    Wedding dinner will be in 2014 and planned next year ba.. like this, we have more time to save more $ for a nicer and grander wedding if i ever regret about the rom.. haha..

Junior Member holidayyo is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellicious View Post
    Hi,

I am having a very simple ROM too in April next year. Just ROM at the Registry of Marriage & a 1 table dinner at No Signboard Seafood @ Esplanade. It's just for family and 1-2 friends only. I feel that marriage is between the 2 of us, as long as we are happy, I do not see the need to splurge just because I need to involve my other relatives. So for me, the simpler the better, after the wedding, we go straight for our honeymoon and enjoy~! And the wedding costs below 6K inclusive of our wedding rings.
    I am the same page as you. Wedding is between the bride and groom. That's is something that more often than not ppl forget. I have so many friends that do it to please the parents, relative but on the AD, they are the one that are unhappy.

We are also looking at a intimate celebration (ROM + reception) for close family and friends in 2014.