Any reviews on The Sentosa A Beaufort Hotel?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member Nikki is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Wedding reception at The Sentosa

Hi,

my fiance and I want to host a wedding that is not confine to the ballroom. we are looking for hotels that have function room that lead out to a pool or outdoor area with a view for about 150 to 200 guests. We have seen a few like Conrad Hotel, Mandarin Oriental and The Sentosa. I prefer The Sentosa but my other half is not impressed. Any other suggestions?

Member jelly is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi Nikki,

i am interested in the Sentosa too, thought the feel of the place is quite different from the usual hotels. but after i went for a site visit the other day, found their decor and feel of the room to be pretty old and run-down. but they will be undergoing renovation at the end of the yr, with new chandelier + carpet. hence im still considering the venue. are you still considering the sentosa? it seems like very few ppl talk bout having their wedding there, cant even find enough info/reviews on forums

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi Jelly,

I have the same sentiments as you about the venue. One of our concerns about the ballroom is the ceiling height. They will do decorative refurbishment to the ballroom. I can't imagine how low it will feel with the chandelier installed.

However the biggest concern we have is the food. We are planning to do it a buffet dinner and asked the coordinator which restaurant to try the food that will be prepared for the wedding. She mentioned at the hotel cafe. My fiance and I were utterly disappointed with the quality of the food prepared. The bbq meats were tough and salty. The dessert selection very unappealing.

Honestly, we love the view and the option of having an outdoor space. In any case, we are still considering whether to do another tasting on the western course at our own account. So lets keep the fingers cross.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    to be honest, i am concerned about the food too due to the lack of reviews on them. im considering the chinese menu, but it's really hard to make a decision with so few info on the taste, serving portion etc. (it doesnt help that the menu seems to be more on the more fusion side judging from the funky names of the dishes)when i was there, i didnt see a chinese restaurant around so im not too sure if food is prepared by the hotel cafe or a separate banquet "kitchen". if it's the latter, dont think i can even have a food tasting before making a decision. and by then, it might be too late if the food turns out to be less than palatable >.<

Member geraldineyap is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    oh dear...seems like this venue is not sounding very good? anyone who has attended a dinner there to provide review on the food?

Junior Member hazethenut is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi girls

I was considering this venue too until my correspondence with the coordinator and did a site visit. Firstly, they have only one coordinator at the moment (or so I was told) and this lady is not the least helpful at all. Her replies were slow and when I attempted to make appointments with her for site visits, she was never available. Whenever she replied my emails, she did selective reading and only replied what she wanted to. I even offered to accommodate to her schedule for the site visit and requested her to call me which she never did. I ended up having to call her and I was told to do a walk-in and ask for help from the concierge to take me around.

My visit eventually left me further disappointed. The ballrooms, like what you have already mentionted, look old and are not carpeted. Even the lawn (where I was cosidering doing my solemnisation) was disappointment. No view to talk about, nothing like what you see in pictures.

Seriously, even if I had liked the venue, I would have 2nd thoughts of signing up with them as well coz of the attitude of the coordinator. Hopefully you girls had better experience with her. Good luck!

I suggest other venues, for the price you are paying.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    hi hazethenut,

with whom did you correspond with? I didnt know that there is only one coordinator only. I was liaising with their conference and event exec, I find her pretty efficient and helpful actually. She responded to my email promptly and for the two times that we went down, she had included a complimentary entry to sentosa for us (valid for taking cab/self-drive). She also took the initiative to send me the tentative design for their ballroom so we actually have an idea how it would be like after the renovation.

I was really tempted by the "commanding seaview of the SCS" but, like you, I was a little disappointed as I really wanted a solemnization venue which is more outdoor-based and natural. The lawn area (with the surcharge of 2500++(?) doesnt allow the view of the sea while the private terrace outside the Grand Salon only allows a blocked view.

The Sentosa was a front runner coz I thought it's able to give a different ambience as compared to the normal "mainland" hotels. Oh well, I guess the lack of good reviews about this place has given me enough reasons to seriously consider other options.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    hi hi - I'm sorry I cant remember her name coz it was about two - three months ago when i corresponded with her and there were just too many coordinators that i corresponded with. I was told by the front desk lady who showed us around that she was the only event coordinator. at least at that point in time.

if you're doing an intimate wedding with a big budget, capella has a ballroom with unblocked sea view. can only accommodate max 18 tables if i remember correctly.

Rasa sentosa has a ballroom with sea view as well but there are pillars and i personally do not like the 'feel' of the ballroom.

Raffles hotel has a lawn that looks much much better than The Sentosa.

Do you have a theme that you are looking at? And are you doing luncheon/dinner, english/chinese courses/buffet? Budget? Knowing these will help to guide your search for hotels/venues.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I am kinda stuck with the search for hotels/venues coz the no. of tables that we are inviting is about 22-24? and many of the hotels do a minimum of 25. which was why i shortlisted the sentosa coz min 20-max 26 is (almost) the perfect size!

Rasa Sentosa has a minimum of 25 tables (are you talking bout the ballroom which has ceiling to floor glass windows?) thought that's really pretty! too bad cant see much at night.

Raffles Hotel is quite small, the two East India Rooms only hold up to 20 tables max right?

Dont really have any theme that I'm looking at, just that there must be a nice enough outdoor venue for solemnization. Probably one of the few must-haves, alongside w budget of up to maybe 1600 per table after all the ++ are added in. Was also considering Goodwood but the date that I want is already blocked. So...maybe Grand Copthorne Waterfront, guess having a river view is better than having no view hahahah!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    raffles grand ballroom can hold up to max 25 if i am not wrong. min being 20 tables at cost of $1,388++. The lighting at night is gorgeous. However, for the use of the lawn for solemnization is at charge of $2,288++.

hmm, honestly if you are doing dinner, there isn't much of sea view to talk about. will be dark so can't exactly see anything.

Think you can consider fullerton, they have this "rooftop garden" that you can use for solemnization. But min no of tables is 25.

Junior Member alanthia is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi,

My fiancé and I have shortlisted the Sentosa as we wanted an outdoor solemnisation area with a sea view. We were thinking of using the Grand Salon for dinner and its Terrace for solemnisation. But I'm a bit concerned after reading the above comments.

Does anyone know if the refurbishment works at the Sentosa are completed?

And is the grand salon very cramped with 20-26 tables in it?

Hazethenut>> do u know if Capella offers an outdoor solemnisation venue with a sea view?

Thanks for any advice!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your contribution.

@Alanthia: Their refurbishment for the Grand Salon ballroom will only start end of this year and be ready early next year. I understand that it will be a cosmetics touch up like adding carpet to the current wood flooring, chandeliers to the ceiling and some wooden walls will be replace with something else. The outdoor will remain the same, I think, you may want to find out more from the coordinator.

@Hazel: My experience with the coordinator at The Sentosa has been ok but slow. She is helpful and is trying to arrange for The Cliff to arrange a food tasting for us. I asked her if The Cliff is able to cater for the wedding dinner as the restaurant is more like a tenant to them. I understand how you feel, like you, I really hope the response will be faster since we are looking at so many venues.

We explore Raffles Hotel as well. East India Room is way too cramp. My sister attended a ROM luncheon at that room before, she told me that the room was so cramp with 10 tables arrangement. For Capella, I attended 2 wedding dinners at their GRand Ballroom, the food is very good and cos the couples really folked out alot to the entire wedding dinner. The sound systems sucked BIG time, the microphone didn't work, the speakers have this noisy feedback and music was not on when one of the couples did their 2nd march-in. So capella is in our "black List" ha.

My fiance and I realised that looking for a so called unique wedding locations (in a hotel) is kinda non existent in Singapore. We have shortlisted the Imperial Ballroom at Mandarin Orchard. At least, we know that the food will be good and comparatively their prices are more attractive than The Sentosa.

Last but not least, somehow deep down inside, I can foresee a beautiful setting at The Sentosa due the sea view and resort-like ambiance. The location kinda put you in a more relax mode compare to a standard hotel. If The Cliff is catering for our dinner, the chances of us confirming the Sentosa is very high. Cross my fingers!!!

Keep the comments rolling!! Cheers!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    hi alanthia,

I intended to use the Grand Salon for the dinner and terrace for solemnization initially too. ive seen the actual set up of the Grand Salon during a wedding a couple of weeks ago. If i dont remember wrongly, that wedding had about 22 or 23 tables. In my opinion, it is still pretty ok, wouldnt call it cramped.

The refurbishment works will start in Sep and end in Dec 11.

Junior Member nephtaphi is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi girls,

I am also considering holding my wedding at The Sentosa, and this is what I know after many correspondent email and phone calls with the wedding planner:

Food for the banquet will be prepared by the Chinese kitchen, but there’s also the option of a Western, International and even barbecue set (for lawn parties). I’ve eaten at The Cliff and The Garden restaurants before and I must say the standard of food there is good, so hope to take that as a yardstick for the food that will be served at the banquet, though I’ve yet to go for the banquet food tasting.

I like the outdoor terrace and lawn setting, which would be great for cocktails and canapés, apart from having the solemnization done outdoors. The floor-to-ceiling windows of their function rooms also make this venue different from others we’ve checked out – let’s natural light in, and you get a view of the night sky.

Like what Jelly says – this place makes you feel as if you’re not in Singapore. In fact, this is what I like most about The Sentosa. Their garden villas are also amazing - comes with your own private swimming pool! We are thinking of upgrading our wedding package to stay here during our wedding - treat ourselves to a little luxury – it’s a once in a lifetime thing anyway

I also understand that the refurbishment will happen in October and be completed by end of December. Perfect for me, since I plan to hold my wedding in May next year!

Junior Member alanthia is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Dear all,

Thanks for your comments and replies!

@Nikki: Did the coordinator at the Sentosa tell you how many people you can host at the Cliff? The last time she told me this in an email which I quote verbatim below. This was when I asked if I could hold a small solemnisation at the Gazebo followed by dinner at the Cliff.

"Will the gazebo and the Cliff restaurant also be undergoing upgrading works during Oct to Dec 2011?

Reply: The Gazebo and the Cliff will not having any renovation during the period. Please be informed that no wedding can be held in the Cliff.

How many people can the Cliff restaurant hold? Will dinner be buffet-style or do you have something like a 4-course Western dinner?

Reply: Please be informed that 03 or 04 set course menu is only available at The Cliff. It only can cater for a small group (for approximately of 10 persons only). However, it still open for public, thus, advance reservation with The Cliff Restaurant is required prior to the event date. "

After I read this reply from her, I decided not to hold any wedding/ solemnisation at the Cliff, since it is still open to the public even during your wedding dinner!

@jelly: You mentioned that you intended to use the Grand Salon and the terrace initially. Does that mean you have now changed your mind? If so, what prompted the change? Was there anything unsatisfactory?

Anyone has any issues with their sound/ speaker systems and lights in the Grand Salon?

Thanks!