Anyone decides not to go for honeymoon at all?

rojak

Just wondering... if it really is necessary? What does honeymoon really do? it's just an excuse to go for a holiday isn't it? I read that historically, the month after the wedding is when the couple drinks a bit of honey everyday to boost fertility (and thus chances of conception). They drink honey for a whole month, thus the term "honeymoon". How come honeymoon now becomes a holiday instead? hmmm

meilingg

I went to wikipedia and saw this...

Originally "honeymoon" simply described the period just after the wedding when things are at their sweetest; it is assumed to wane in a month. The earliest term for this in English was hony moone, which was recorded as early as 1546.

"the idea that the first month of marriage is the sweetest"

In Western culture, the custom of a newlywed couple going on a holiday together originated in early 19th century Great Britain, a concept borrowed from the Indian elite, in the Indian Subcontinent[citation needed]. Upper-class couples would take a "bridal tour", sometimes accompanied by friends or family, to visit relatives who had not been able to attend the wedding. The practice soon spread to the European continent and was known as voyage à la façon anglaise (English-style voyage) in France from the 1820s on.

A honeymoon can also be the first moments a newly-wed couple spend together, or the first holiday they spend together to celebrate their marriage.

"The first month after marriage, when there is nothing but tenderness and pleasure" (Samuel Johnson); originally having no reference to the period of a month, but comparing the mutual affection of newly-married persons to the changing moon which is no sooner full than it begins to wane; now, usually, the holiday spent together by a newly-married couple, before settling down at home."

mellowhearts

Haha..interesting quote of the "honeymoon" term there! I guess it's the period while you and your spouse enjoy the bliss of being newly married before the rest of reality comes a-knocking in after that! Sounds like a month long trip to prolong the phase is the way to go? Haha ;)

geraldineyap

maybe not immediately after the wedding after spending so much money at one go. if need to save up another big sum for the honeymoon think will be quite stressful...short tip away ba..at least need to get away...haha

retrodots

if no money than really cannot go lor...wedding already costs so much wor...if still want to save up even more for the honeymoon i think the HTB and i will be very stressed... :(

angelwings

main thing is to enjoy yourself, if dont enjoy because need to do all the post-wedding things will be feeling stressed on your honeymoon then no point going :)

shopperholic

ya lor...now already so stressed over the wedding planning...if hv to plan for the honeymoon right now also i think end up will quarrel even more =(

universalbunny

i think it depends on the couple...and their finances...dont force to go on honeymoon. if not later you have more headache. plan for wedding already very troublesome..lol I'd rather have a nice relaxing holiday, and not rush to prepare for this