Can we always recover our banquet cost? Share experience please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member foreigngoing is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Can we always recover our banquet cost? Share experience please.

Right now I am choosing where to hold my wedding. I am actually quite afraid that we will end up with lots of debt!

Who do you normally invite for wedding? Avoid pple with many young children? Old folks?

Cheers
    Foreigngoing

Senior Member Tenshi is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    normally invite both families memebers including uncles and aunties and cousins .... close friends.

aviod inviting friends that you long time never contact at all. as for parents friends you dun really have much control...

so if there is any lost you just treat it like giving them a treat lor like tat you will not be so hard pain.

errr but hor voice down to if you dun have such a big head dun wear such a big hat hor. so better do some budgeting before you decide.

Member ladyinwhite is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    unless they are your relatives, try not to invite families with lots of children? because it's not likely that the parents will pay $100+ per child. I think for my wedding, i will lose quite a lot of money from here because my relatives have so many kids.

if you want to make sure you can break even, go for more affordable hotels or restaurants. My friend just managed to break even for her recent wedding, most of my other friends could not break even. So you have to be prepared that nowadays people still think that the cost is about $100 per person when in fact it is about $120 or more already.

Member silverautumn is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    if budget is of a concern to you and you worry about getting in debt, how about not holding a banquet at all?
    if you really must hold a dinner banquet, there're restaurants on special package from as low as $400++ per table only.
    definitely a steal.

Senior Member rojak is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    restaurants tend to be easier to break even, although people tend ot give less too (but hotels cost way more, people give abit more only)

another point is invite relatives, especialy the very close ones. the traditional thinking is not how much the venue costs, but how close you are to the couple. so if your parents invite ur relatives and their very close friends, they will tend to give HUGE angbaos even if the restaurant is a so-so one. our generation pple tend to just fork out what they think would be sufficient to cover your banquet costs only, only the closer friends will tend to give slightly more than what they think will cover costs. so think wisely who you want to invite if you are having a banquet..

there are alternatives to cheaper banquets if you must have one -- lunch banquets, or weekday banquets -- can be up to 30% cheaper than weekends depending on the hotel!! do source around and do your research yeah

Junior Member foreigngoing is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Thanks for the advise. I will be exploring resturant in hotel establishments....

Junior Member zenny is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    i have a few friends who invite lesser people, just close friends and relatives. of course if you are a business person, you should be able to cover your banquet from all those big ang baos haha

Senior Member Jiemin is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I am thinking how to not to lose so much in state of break even.
    To what extend should you invite?
    My mum is traditional, she think we should invite parent-in-law of my aunts and uncles(14 for my side) and their(aunt's and uncle's) grandchildren.
    Not to forget my parent's friends and classmates.
    My HTB's family is small but the his mum think that groom should had more tables than brides.
    I do not feel like it's our wedding anymore. =(

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiemin View Post
    My mum is traditional, she think we should invite parent-in-law of my aunts and uncles(14 for my side) and their(aunt's and uncle's) grandchildren.
    My HTB's family is small but the his mum think that groom should had more tables than brides.
    yes, usually the groom's side is more, or now usually is at least equal between the 2 families. I recently attended one wedding where it was very lopsided - the groom had a very small family (1 table family, a few friends) while the bride's side had lots of relatives (multiple tables, and friends). it is quite obvious to the onlooker, coz at the reception you see the groom's side very free, while the brides' side are sooooo busy enteratining people. same goes for the sending off after the banquet. doesn't reflect too nice on the groom's side, it's as thought the bride's family is the "main", when actually the banquet rightfully belongs to the groom's side. so i think you need to try to balance it out a little, so that it appears better. won't make your groom's side feel embarrassed too..

Senior Member jwjw is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiemin View Post
    Jiemin,

You should get your HTB to talk to his mother with regards to this matter. It's the 21st century now, and its the fact that they don't have that much relatives to invite (which is a good thing), while on your side, you have to invite these people no matter what. I believe they will be understanding enough if both of you explain to them. As long as the difference isn't that much, that should work out fine.

For my case, both my parents have very big families, they need 14-15 tables (they only invited couples, not even the children), while on the other hand, my in-laws only need 9-10 tables (with extras). As for friends, my HTB got more colleagues and friends while I only shortlisted 3-4 tables of close friends.. My in-laws are pretty open minded that they don't mind about groom side got less tables, etc.

Again, have to think of the 'cons', by inviting so many relatives, we are already prepared to make a loss of 10k liao.. *stress*

Senior Member snowy is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    lunch maybe can cover. but honestly if you are holding a banquet, the expectation shouldnt be to cover all the cost, because otherwise if you cant cover you will be very sad. expect to make a loss of about 10-20k

Senior Member jwjw is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    yea, precisely. im looking at around that figure or even more.. =(

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    actually, we shouldn't aim to break even for banquets. guests should not be expected to pay the banquet with the idea of covering our costs for us. otherwise, we can all choose the most expensive hotel, most expensive menu and expect the guests to pay more for our personal choices. Rather, we should all try to view it as a banquet that we are holding, with our own expenses. Whatever comes our way, is a bonus and a pleasant gift from our beloved relatives and friends.

Member silverautumn is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by rojak View Post
    actually, we shouldn't aim to break even for banquets. guests should not be expected to pay the banquet with the idea of covering our costs for us. otherwise, we can all choose the most expensive hotel, most expensive menu and expect the guests to pay more for our personal choices. Rather, we should all try to view it as a banquet that we are holding, with our own expenses. Whatever comes our way, is a bonus and a pleasant gift from our beloved relatives and friends.
    totally agree with rojak..
    don't plan your wedding with expectations to cover your costs, spend only what you can afford and if there's a surplus then it's a bonus to you.

Member jelliebeans is infamous around these parts
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    in order to avoid accumulated debt in planning the wedding, we have over 2 years of engagement period because my hubby and I agreed that we should plan it carefully and save money.