Credit Cards for Wedding Payments

rojak

cards like UOB or POSB/DBS cards enjoy some perks for initial deposits signed up during hotel/bridal shows.subsequent balance payment have to check what others cards provide, some enjoy perks.
Recently i receive Maybank credit card leaflet can redeem 1 night stay at MBS Suite if charged $18k but promo end early this year.
now till 30 jun11, charge to Maybank and redeem
$6k- Porsche 911 Carrera for 1 day,
$15k- 4 hour weekday luxury Yatch Cruise
$18k - 1 night stay at Banyan Tree Villa

yewdes- not sure abt hotel instalment plan, need to check with them.is unlikely so..

wow so attractive!!! too bad i see this too late >.< oh wells, i'll make do with the manhattan i have. but i never thought of having 2 cards and staggering payment!!!! oh dear.. lost so much chance to get the rebates over the past few months >.<

sweetluv

i signed up with 2 new credit cards just because i will be spending so much for my wedding haha. UOB and CIMB have been having a lot of roadshows, pretty good deals there. They usually give nice perks during roadshows, try to sign then :)

tracylim

Wow the Maybank perks is really superb!! Are they still offering perks as good as the ones till june now? Citibank has lots of gd promo for dining :D

icesky

standard chartered not bad also, they have a rewards system that is pretty attractive. CIMB is also very actively promoting their credit cards too

pinnpinn

yea, is it the manhantten card? or any other standard chartered card? i got the normal one, and thinking of getting the manhantten one cos it got rebates!

riantomulia

Manhattan is the best! we got a few friends with the card to help. $2000 rebate for $40k wedding. That's quite substantial..=P

rojak

anyone has any idea how the "quarterly" thing works on manhattan card? is it based on a general quarter (i.e. jan-mar, apr-june....) or depends on when we got the card? or when we spent the money????

pinnpinn

i just got the manhantten card! gonna use it for my upcoming rom! i will want to save every little money! even if its a few hundred

godbirdie

just call the customer service and enquire the period of your spending. It is one the 3 months period. for eg, mine is ard 20 Jun-19 Sep, if i accumulated $4000 spending, i entitled to 5%, equivalent to $200 (cap)

Total spending reflected in your monthly statement CashBack earned monthly
$1 - $999 0.5%
$1,000 - $2,999 1%
$3,000 and above 5%

rojak

just call the customer service and enquire the period of your spending. It is one the 3 months period. for eg, mine is ard 20 Jun-19 Sep, if i accumulated $4000 spending, i entitled to 5%, equivalent to $200 (cap)

Total spending reflected in your monthly statement CashBack earned monthly
$1 - $999 0.5%
$1,000 - $2,999 1%
$3,000 and above 5%

oh! the 5% can be a TOTAL of all spendings in your monthly statement? not for a single payment? Hmm...

godbirdie

yup..the 5% is based on accumulated spending for the 3mths period,not a single payment.so if u can split ur payment for weddings like $4k every 3mths, u can save $200 for every quarter, equivalent to $800 per year.

jwjw

Quarterly for the cash rebate depends on your date of statement. For instance, your statement is dated 22 July, the first month will be 23 Jul to 22 Aug, 2nd month will be 23 Aug to 22 Sep and 3rd month will be 23 Sep to 22 Oct. Spending within these 3 months should be kept at $4000 for the max $200 rebates, spending more than that doesn't give you any points, etc.

Do remember that the range of :
$1 - $999 @ 0.5%
$1,000 - $2,999 @ 1%
$3,000 and above @ 5%
is per MONTHLY only. Meaning if you spend $1k on the first month, $3k on the 2nd month and nothing on the 3rd month, the total rebate will only be:

$1000 x 1 % = $10
$3000 x 5% = $150

In this case, you will have to spend more to hit the $200 maximum rebate. Hope it is clear and helpful. :)

summerrain

any idea if citibank dividend card is good for such rebates?

I have cancelled my Citibank dividend card cos I've not received a single cheque cashback. The cashback is dependent on the type of spend (http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credit_cards/citi_dividend.htm). They have an exclusion clause that 2% cashback on dining excludes food & beverage spend within hotels and wedding banquets held in hotels.

I think the best cashback is Manhattan. Really no gimmicks. I've already received my 3rd cashback.

rojak

Quarterly for the cash rebate depends on your date of statement. For instance, your statement is dated 22 July, the first month will be 23 Jul to 22 Aug, 2nd month will be 23 Aug to 22 Sep and 3rd month will be 23 Sep to 22 Oct. Spending within these 3 months should be kept at $4000 for the max $200 rebates, spending more than that doesn't give you any points, etc.

Do remember that the range of :
$1 - $999 @ 0.5%
$1,000 - $2,999 @ 1%
$3,000 and above @ 5%
is per MONTHLY only. Meaning if you spend $1k on the first month, $3k on the 2nd month and nothing on the 3rd month, the total rebate will only be:

$1000 x 1 % = $10
$3000 x 5% = $150

In this case, you will have to spend more to hit the $200 maximum rebate. Hope it is clear and helpful. :)

thanks jwjw! that is a very clear and detailed analysis! :D