Flat Size to get...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member kimchoo is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Flat Size to get...

hi ladies...just watched the news yesterday night that reported a lot of young couples hv switched to get a 3 room flat even though their initial application was for a 4 room flat. juz wondering if nez time want to upgrade to a bigger flat, wud it be a wise decision to get a 3 room flat now? what do u ladies think?

Senior Member rojak is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    if you're thinking of getting a bto, a 4-room would be a better choice if you can afford it financially. reason being the 4-room is only a small bit more expensive than a 3-room, but years later, the 4-room tends to gain more appreciation (value) than a 3-room. so a 4-room is a better choice in terms of investment. 4-rooms might be easier to sell too, so if you want to upghrade further years later, would be easier to sell off your flat too.

Member mellowhearts is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I would agree with rojak too. If you can afford it financially, 4 room would be a better choice in the long term. 3 room flats nowadays are getting really expensive and apparently the demand too! The demand probably results in the climbing prices of a 3 room flat. I know of some people who decided to downgrade to a 3 room flat after staying in their first flat (EA, 5 room, etc) so they are able to make some money from the choice to downgrade. Do your sums carefully first before you decide and make sure it's something the two of you can comfortably afford.

Senior Member pinnpinn is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Im choosing a 5rm flat for my bto. Reason being:
    1) I dont intend to move in the near future (though our plan was to move to a condo later on), so a bigger apartment will be nice!
    2) We need the extra space for future (kids, study room, etc)
    3) I WANT A BIG KITCHEN! Haha. And 5rms flats got bigger kitchen. though I know its still relatively small ):
    4) Might be holding family/friends gatherings, so bigger space = better

I think, most importantly, you need to consider on the duration that you intend to stay in the flat. If you dont intend to shift house in the next 10years or so, and you foresee yourself starting a family during that period, I think a bigger unit will be better! And yes, need to do ur calculation first too!

Member pretty bride is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    My hubby and I were conflicted over this issue for quite some time, but we've recently decided that we're gg to apply for a 4room flat. agree w rojak about the appreciation of the value of the flat. anws i heard that the flat prices could be dropping due to an oversupply or smth. how true is that? should i wait to get the flat in possibility of getting it at a lower price?

Senior Member tracylim is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    The penned up demand for HDB flats is so high that there will not be enough flats even for the next few years. Dont have to worry about oversupply because that will not happen for the next few years as PRs are increasing with govt going to hit up to 7mil pop. I doubt the prices will go down in fact I noticed prices kinda increased from BTOs 1 year ago.

Its just kinda sad that BTO prices are matching or even more expensive than resale flats in some estates lor =( Gone are the days where 4rm flats cost only 65k T.T

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    juz read in today's papers that the new DBSS at tampines is like $800+K for a unit?! in the 80s that would buy ppl a block of 3 room flats... =/

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by kimchoo View Post
    juz read in today's papers that the new DBSS at tampines is like $800+K for a unit?! in the 80s that would buy ppl a block of 3 room flats... =/
    haha kimchoo i like ur comment abt a whole block of 3room flats!! Yar crazy right!! what rubbish when KBW says dbss is not equivalent to hdb!?!? it is precisely hdb, under the rulings of hdb, just finished up nicer!! i hope all singaporeans come together to petition and DO NOT BUY those exhobitantly priced flats at tampines! then the private developers will know and reduce the prices.. just a few yrs back dbss were just slightly (20-30%) higher in price as compared to BTOs in the same area, not 100% more! that's the price of a condo (re: private) in the same region lor. an exact same DBSS right next to the current tampines site, released 2006, was HALF the price and with BIGGER areas! what the heck..

i know there are speculations that the hdb prices will drop. i highly doubt that.. at most stabilize, but the gov will definitely not allow any decrease in prices (imagine the number of current home owners who will hammer them if it happens!) so no need to wait til the prices drop..

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    totally agree that DBSS is WAY OVERPRICED! and thanks for the kind insights. we're thinking of holding on for awhile now, see if the prices will stabilize, before deciding. anws, we're planning to stay with his parents for a bit (hopefully no in-law horrors!) before moving in to a new place anyway.

Senior Member pinnpinn is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I guess the whole purpose of getting a HDB is to stay and not earn from it. So to me, it doesnt matter if the value appreciate or not. I just want a roof over my head (:

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    news today said that the developer has dropped the price by as much as $102K for the DBSS flats in tampines. at the end of the day, it's just a dolled-up HDB! gives you the feeling that you are living in a private estate but it's really just a feeling! the regular HDB there are nice enough and bigger in size lor! not as if the $800+K buys you a mansion...really nonsense...

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    lol! in the past, 800K prolly really gets you a mansion. but well, with inflation and whatnot, my parents got a freehold condo at slightly less than a million, and to think that now, with that same amount, we can only be getting a DBSS flat! times have really changed!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    SINGAPORE - Centrale 8's developer has reduced the prices of its Design, Build and Sell Scheme flats (DBSS), possibly "caving in" to public pressure, property analysts told MediaCorp.
    The most expensive five-room flat is now S$778,000, down from S$880,000. While Sim Lian Group reiterated yesterday that its initial prices were only indicative, ERA Asia Pacific associate director Eugene Lim pointed out: "When developers reveal their price range, it's usually quite close. For instance, (the previous DBSS project) Adora Green's selling prices were exactly their indicative prices."
    SLP International executive director of research and consultancy Nicholas Mak said: "Like any business, they took the risk - they wanted to see if the market would respond positively to their prices or not."
    Sim Lian said last week it the premium cost was due to the project's location in Tampines Regional Centre with mature amenities, and the promixity to Tampines MRT station and the future Downtown Line 3 MRT interchange.
    In a press release yesterday, Sim Lian Group chief executive officer Kuik Sin Pin said the new price range was decided based on the resale prices, age and location of HDB flats in the same vicinity, prevailing economic conditions and proximity to transport networks and good public facilities.
    ERA's Mr Lim said Sim Lian could have been "genuinely pressured" to adjust the pricing.
    He added, "The Minister himself said that if you price it too high, no one will want to buy from you."
    However, Suntec Chesterton International head of research and consultancy Colin Tan felt that in all probability, the developer would have offered home buyers a discount to its indicative price range. Now, he said, Sim Lian will be making a smaller profit.
    The developer did not say how many applications it received when the deadline closed yesterday.
    But Mr Lim reckons that the flats are still "pricey": "Usually, the premium above a resale flat for a DBSS is between S$100,000 to S$150,000."
    Analysts pointed out that Tampines is a more popular mature estate compared to Yishun, where the lower-priced Adora Green, which is 96 per cent sold after its February launch, is located.
    "Centrale 8 not only has the amenities and conveniences, but offers high rental value - this could add five to 10 per cent more in pricing," said Cushman & Wakefield vice-chairman Donald Han.
    Mr Mak had another take: "Sim Lian probably thought it had no competition, as there's not much land in Tampines for the Government to launch BTOs."

Centrale 8' Indicative Prices

Three-Room $397,000 to $510,000
    Four-Room $531,000 to $683,000
    Five-Room $685,000 to $880,000

Confirmed Price Range

Three-Room $389,000 to $445,000
    Four-Room $511,000 to $592,000
    Five-Room $685,000 to $778,000

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by kimchoo View Post
    news today said that the developer has dropped the price by as much as $102K for the DBSS flats in tampines. at the end of the day, it's just a dolled-up HDB! gives you the feeling that you are living in a private estate but it's really just a feeling! the regular HDB there are nice enough and bigger in size lor! not as if the $800+K buys you a mansion...really nonsense...
    i agree! it's STILL A HDB!! these people don't seem to get it though. imagine multiple years later, you're selling a DBSS. another person selling a normal BTO, from the same region. selling prices will be the same!! noone ever bothers about your finishings in the end..

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by rojak View Post
    SINGAPORE - Centrale 8's developer has reduced the prices of its Design, Build and Sell Scheme flats (DBSS), possibly "caving in" to public pressure, property analysts told MediaCorp.
    The most expensive five-room flat is now S$778,000, down from S$880,000. While Sim Lian Group reiterated yesterday that its initial prices were only indicative, ERA Asia Pacific associate director Eugene Lim pointed out: "When developers reveal their price range, it's usually quite close. For instance, (the previous DBSS project) Adora Green's selling prices were exactly their indicative prices."
    SLP International executive director of research and consultancy Nicholas Mak said: "Like any business, they took the risk - they wanted to see if the market would respond positively to their prices or not."
    Sim Lian said last week it the premium cost was due to the project's location in Tampines Regional Centre with mature amenities, and the promixity to Tampines MRT station and the future Downtown Line 3 MRT interchange.
    In a press release yesterday, Sim Lian Group chief executive officer Kuik Sin Pin said the new price range was decided based on the resale prices, age and location of HDB flats in the same vicinity, prevailing economic conditions and proximity to transport networks and good public facilities.
    ERA's Mr Lim said Sim Lian could have been "genuinely pressured" to adjust the pricing.
    He added, "The Minister himself said that if you price it too high, no one will want to buy from you."
    However, Suntec Chesterton International head of research and consultancy Colin Tan felt that in all probability, the developer would have offered home buyers a discount to its indicative price range. Now, he said, Sim Lian will be making a smaller profit.
    The developer did not say how many applications it received when the deadline closed yesterday.
    But Mr Lim reckons that the flats are still "pricey": "Usually, the premium above a resale flat for a DBSS is between S$100,000 to S$150,000."
    Analysts pointed out that Tampines is a more popular mature estate compared to Yishun, where the lower-priced Adora Green, which is 96 per cent sold after its February launch, is located.
    "Centrale 8 not only has the amenities and conveniences, but offers high rental value - this could add five to 10 per cent more in pricing," said Cushman & Wakefield vice-chairman Donald Han.
    Mr Mak had another take: "Sim Lian probably thought it had no competition, as there's not much land in Tampines for the Government to launch BTOs."

Centrale 8' Indicative Prices

Three-Room $397,000 to $510,000
    Four-Room $531,000 to $683,000
    Five-Room $685,000 to $880,000

Confirmed Price Range

Three-Room $389,000 to $445,000
    Four-Room $511,000 to $592,000
    Five-Room $685,000 to $778,000
    it's still overly pricey seriously.