How do you choose your wedding photographer?

emilyy

Hi ladies, would just like to know, on what basis do you choose your wedding photographer? Is it by photography style, location, price or others? I'm trying to choose a wedding photographer now, but i cant seem to settle on one.. could you brides share how you make your decision? :wub:

Kent Wong Photography

Wedding Photographer
You can check the following things:

1) the photographer's style
2) the price
3) the personality of the photographer
4) sufficient equipment & backup to deliver the job
5) experience(shooting more than 10 weddings etc)
6) skill of editing, knowledge in photography
7) freebies that come along with the package

paulfu

Inactive Member
d6358cc8473224eeb9fad7be445636a9_small.jpg
96c3b945e9002a982665b71940406191_small.jpg
eb73a34b48fd0126b82da345a5f012f6_small.jpg

Hello Emily :)

I'm an independent photographer who does the occasional commercial work to help fund my fine art research. As such, my rates are very competitive. Please have a look at my works at www.paulfu.com. :)

daydreamer

You can totally check up on each photographer through their online portfolio. You can also inquire what photography style they are experts in doing and see some samples. Maybe they will compliment your own taste.

waffle

for me i prefer lady photographer. next is the style if suits my taste. photographer's attitude. and price.

kormmandos

Hi all, just a few notes on style:

I have seen photographers claiming that they have a journalistic style or like to call themselves photojournalistic wedding photographers.

For anyone who has heard similar phrases, please help yourselves by doing the following 2 things:

1. Take a second look at their works to see if the people in the pictures ever look into the camera.
If you see nearly all shots do not have eye contact, the portfolio was probably built from occasions the photographer was a guest at those weddings, which probably means a lack of experience in shooting weddings.

2. Ask what they mean exactly when they call themselves photojournalistic wedding photographers or have a photojournalistic style.
I have seen a number of photographers passing off fly-on-the-wall, standing at one corner, taking shots that are natural, un-posed and candid as photojournalism.

Photojournalism style DOES NOT solely mean fly-on-the-wall, standing at one corner, taking shots that are natural, un-posed and candid.
The photographer should "appear" outrightly in front of you sometimes to get proper, posed shots. So do ask to see their proper, posed shots.
Especially so because you need those proper, posed shots of yourselves to answer to your friends, relatives, family after the wedding.

:)

dianawilson

Inactive Member
These are really great tips for choosing your right wedding photographer. All these things should be consider while looking the photographer.

sockbunny

For me

Photography style
Price
Personality ( Those standoffish ones I dun like. I also dislike people rushing me. So I think have to find someone you r comfortable with)
Work ethics ( I was a 'sister' for my friend's wedding many years ago, her AD photographer was very late. Late until by the time he arrived, her make up and dressed all done liao, he totally missed the 'make up' session. He din informed her that he would be late. He didn't look apologetic, nor did he offer any apologetic gesture. She was really angry but she endure cos she dun want to spoil her wedding day.)

Really have to do some research before engaging PG.

dimsum

All these are really good tips :) For me, I think it's important to check out their portfolio first and see if you like their style, and next, whether you can click with the photographer. If you can't, the pg will not be able to bring out the best in the couple and might not get the best photos!

eillyn216

We go by...
The Style of Photography (able to capture AD moments, expressions...)
The Package (price, deliverables etc)
The Personality of the PG (friendly, accommodating, understanding etc)

And, am proud to say we have made the right choice! Just got our softcopies and they are great!

Personality

pinkpromises

Hello! My standards are really simple. I just want a photographer who does amazing photographs that fit our style as a couple and one who is very light and easy to work with.

Jep

Hello! My standards are really simple. I just want a photographer who does amazing photographs that fit our style as a couple and one who is very light and easy to work with.

Make sense. most imptly, you must like their style cos everyone give different looks to their photos, they way they took and they edit. personality very imp as well. I saw before some pg like black faced thru-out the dinner banquet, also don't know whats wrong, like they not happy. Asked the bride, she also not sure. haha. maybe born with black face. LOL

MsAyesha

here are my standards:

- must have reasonable rates
- good and fast service
- no overcharging
- punctual
- great quality photos

love_porter1

Hubby and I took time to browse their portfolios, etc.

Also asked personal feedbacks from people we know :) Lucky enough their services was good