ID vs Contractor

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member HappyStar32 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

ID vs Contractor

Although it is cheaper to hire Contractor than ID, there are many considerations. For example, We picked up a few designs from various magazine. We wonderif contractor will be like the ID to draw out the concept plan for you to visualise before commencing work. Otherwise when you mix and match it may not look nice on overall basis. Also I heard there are a lot of coordination work involved. You need to liase with different contractor for different items I.e. electricity, carpentry, painting etc.

So I wonder, after all the above considerations, would it be better to go for ID? Anyone with experience can share? Thanks.

Junior Member fmchan819 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    When appointing ID , make sure that they also project manage the renovation works for you.

Junior Member pastel is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    if you have the means to hire an ID, go hire a good one.

Junior Member serenaw is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    personally i would prefer a contractor who is also good at designing.

Junior Member MakeupAtelier is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    ID is more for project management and ease of mind, since they will take an overall approach.

Contractor is good if you are doing only certain sections of the house, many of them can do simple designing too

Junior Member shan is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    i am comparing between ID and contractor as well. any one has recommendation of reliable (and not too pricey) ID/contractors?

Thanks! ;)

Member blessedkiss is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    contractor you can find lots of design inspirations and ideas in the internet

Member cherrypops is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I guess if you have time to manage the reno process then hire a contractor? It works better if you already have an idea/ concept in mind and just need to let the ID know what you want to do. Go source and look around at the materials you would need for carpentry and for the kitchen also. It may help better when it comes to making decisions and costing.

Junior Member hamburgergirl is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Actually you can look for those contractors who does everything such as electrical works/carpentry works, etc.
    I do happened to come across a firm which provides 3D sketches as a value-added services which not many contractors provide.

Usually ID will still have to liaise with various contractors from various firms to do different things for you . However at a prices of course. Yet sometimes, they can provide you with plenty of designs but might not be feasible to do it when you seek contractor's advice.

Or alternatively, you can seek ID's ideas/designs if you have no idea what you want for your house yet. Then seek various IDs & Contractors for pricing comparisons. You might even get more ideas here and there along the way.