inauspicious years.. widow year, just to share

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Ning87 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

inauspicious years.. widow year, just to share

Marriage and the "Widow Year"

2010 is the year of Tiger. It is also a "Widow Year". The Chinese believes that marriage in a "Widow Year" is inauspicious.
    First, what is a "Widow Year"? To understand this, we need to appreciate the two types of calendars: the solar calendar and the lunar calendar. The solar calendar is based on the movement of the earth around the sun. The lunar calendar (農歷), on the other hand, is based on the movement of the moon around the earth. The first day of the solar calendar is known as "Li Chun" (立春) which falls mostly on 4 February. The first day of the lunar calendar, on the other hand, is the first day of the lunar Chinese New Year. The difference in the time cycle of the two calendars means that the first day of the two calendars rarely occurs on the same day. So whenever "Li Chun" occurs before the first day of the lunar Chinese New Year, the lunar year will not have a "Li Chun". The absence of "Li Chun" in a lunar year is known as a "Widow Year".

For the lunar year 2010, "Li Chun" falls on 4 February 2010 while the first day of the lunar Chinese New Year falls on 14 February 2010. In other words, the 2010 lunar year does not have a "Li Chun". Since there is no "Li Chun" for the 2010 lunar year, the 2010 lunar year is a "Widow Year". The "Widow Year" is not a rare occurrence. If one were to look up the thousand year calendar, you will see that the "Widow Year" occurs quite frequently throughout the years.

How did the name "Widow Year" come about? The name "Widow Year" came about because superstition has it that a woman who marries in a "Widow Year" will bring pre-matured death to her husband. It is also for this reason that a lunar year with no "Li Chun" is called a "Widow Year". From a Chinese metaphysical prospective, the absence of "Li Chun" in a lunar year, which is purely due to the difference in the time period between the two calendars, should not have any influence on people marrying in a "Widow Year".

Below is the list of lunar years with no "Li Chun".

2005 (Year of Rooster)
    2007 (Year of Pig)
    2008 (Year of Rat)
    2010 (Year of Tiger)
    2013 (Year of Snake)
    2015 (Year of Goat)
    2016 (Year of Monkey)
    2018 (Year of Dog)
    2019 (Year of Pig)

there goes my plan for a 2013 marriage..

Senior Member meilingg is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    wow! I didn't know about this widow year. Thanks for sharing!

Since 2013 not a good year, then maybe u wanna have it on 2012 or 2014?

Senior Member godbirdie is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    thanks for sharing but there is a tendency ppl chose the year eg 2010 -year of tiger or dragon year (2012) cos they deem is auspicious.understand feng shu master did not mention abt this widow year..
    how accurate is this?i believe many ppl got married, even consulted the masters did not mentioned..is there a way to counter for those aleady married?

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I'm not sure.. i extracted this information from a fengshui website..

but then again.. if i never remember wrongly, i think even if there are bad yrs, i think there will be an open window for good days as well.. depending on ur bazi i guess, esp if those who used bazi and tongshu to choose dates..

but in the end, marriage is all about loving and respecting each other. Even if u choose the best date but ur SO is a flirt etc, ur marriage also might end badly bah.. this is just for reading and knowledge purpose.. maybe abit of warning for those intending to get married on those yrs..

for me.. since i havent marry, then maybe go for 2014 lor.. but 2014 the 4 is die.. then 2015 is widow yr.. HAHA like this no need marry le..

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    *2014 the 4 is die.. then 14 is wan to die..

Junior Member sepiafeathers is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Oh man I didn't know there's such a thing!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    for us, we avoid 2012 cos is snake year and we seem to have differences with ppl of snake year,includ siblings.marriage also plan when u intend to have babies..whre ppl prefer to have dragon babies

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    ooo... my sister is a snake.. but i think i ok with her, my bf also.. =D then snake is okie with us lor!! how to see if our sign is compatible with another sign ah? got website anot?

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    oo ..both our siblings form each side are snakes..well..it depend on individuals...alot webiste or signs to see if compatible, just like horoscope.but how is true is anything again...go with ur heart//..between..we avoid 2013..not 2012 as dec 2012 is our AD..

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    oh hmmmm... we aiming for a wedding after april... hopefully.. hahaha.. need to depend on hdb..

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    u mean apr 2012 or 2013?u got ur hdb or still balloting?is gd to book in advance

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    2013.. havent get.. still balloting..

eh godbirdie.. do u think the price of hdb will drop?

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    u can ask 'rambutan"..haa...ceiling will likely to increase from 8k to 10k i think...where u apply?mine is dawson BTO..still waiting to complete by 1Q 2015.

Junior Member sunmoonstar is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Tongue "Widow Year"? No worry lah...

Anyway at the end of Ning87's message it mentioned that "..... the absence of "Li Chun" in a lunar year, which is purely due to the difference in the time period between the two calendars, should not have any influence on people marrying in a "Widow Year".

So, I should be 'safe' to get married in 2013. Afterall, "Widow Year" is a superstition and is due to the calendars difference only. It is not an issue at all.

Junior Member venuspeh is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    oh.. i intend to have my banquet in 2013.. I am born in pig year and my finance in dog year.. if this is the case, we have to rush to 2012... OMG...