Married only when house is ready in 2014

+ Reply to Thread
    Member QiqiPhil is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Married only when house is ready in 2014

I have been dating with my bf for 4 years. He just proposed few months ago. We have queued for BTO for 2 years and we couldn't get a good queue number. Hence recently we decided to buy DBSS which will only be ready by 2014.

My mom would love to see me get married as soon as possible. So that we can settled down early and give birth to a child and the age gap between our child will not be so huge. However his mom only wants us to get marry after our house is ready as we have no places to stay and according to chinese customary there is this "jump the bed" portion so his mother prefer that we get our flat first. Personally i would like to get marry earlier too in order to beat the increasing wedding dinner package and also to avoid any pregnancy problem. (I'm currently 27)

Anyone has the same experience and would like to share how they solve this problem?

Member lostsheep is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Member QiqiPhil is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Thank you it's really useful..

Junior Member jessi is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    i think this is a common problem for couples.. sigh because of the flat issue, my bf and i after we marry, have to wait for quite long before we have a baby. his and my current parents house have no space..

Member germainetay is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    jessi, you might have to consider a 1 or 2 bedroom rental to tide by while waiting for flat..

Senior Member pinnpinn is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    for me, i will be staying at my htb house. cos unit will only be ready end 2014. i think we might wait till house to be ready first before starting a family, but we will not restrict ourselves. hehe. cos it will be too long and htb not young anymore le

Junior Member venuspeh is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi, my BTO flat will also be ready in 2014. But i prefer to get married 1st.
    I am having my ROM next Sun, and planning for banquet end of next yr if not 2013. I think it is better to settle banquet issue 1st as it also involves alot of $$ too. Because if u only get marry when ur flat comes, u have to handle both wedding and housing issues, and it will be v tedious esp. on ur new flat. And most impt problem is the cash flow. u have to plan ur $$ well, cos banquet & house cost a BIG BOMB.... and u have to source for wedding stuffs plus house renovation issues etc... I have a fren who did her banquet and housing issue together, end up she got no time to plan her banquet, and got to ask her Jie Mei to work out for her. And i think this will not be ideal cos it is ur wedding after all...

regardless to marry 1st or not, guess u have to ask urself which 1 u more comfortable with. overall u are the one doing it... Good Luck!

Member Kailing is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    sometimes we cant have everything. i also wish that my house is ready once im married but it's impossible as we only applied for the recent BTO launch. I see many of my friends are like that as well, already married for 2 years then get house. Id prefer to do this also, it's less stressful because we take things one step at a time.

Senior Member Mike1982 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    spread the financial load 1 at a time instead of 2 big ones @ 1 go...so tht not so siong too...

kpi
    Senior Member kpi is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I can understand your pain, after 5 long years of trying to get a flat under the BTO system. We gave up and bought an EC instead.
    We pay for our first payment for EC in early 2012, getting married in late 2013, honeymoon in early 2014 and will be getting our EC in 2014.

Junior Member Woody is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by kpi View Post
    I can understand your pain, after 5 long years of trying to get a flat under the BTO system. We gave up and bought an EC instead.
    We pay for our first payment for EC in early 2012, getting married in late 2013, honeymoon in early 2014 and will be getting our EC in 2014.
    Woah. financially ok for you? I am also rushing to get married by this yr end as house is coming in Q1 of 2014. but i guess my honeymoon will have to wait till i settle the house first.

QiqiPhil, you might want to talk to your HTB again? If get married first, stay at his house? You just need to buy a new bed and do the jump bed at his house. Why must wait until the house is ready? I can understand where you are coming from. Now that i look at the banquet prices, i got a shocked. Comparing them in year 2011, 2012 and now.

Junior Member magdalene is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi all, my BTO will be ready in Q1 2014. We plan to get solemnization first, then house renovation and lastly the wedding dinner (might be 2014 year end if possible).

Indeed its gonna cost a bomb when both wedding and house reno come in the same time.

Member cherrypops is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi all! Same here, we will only marry when the house is ready which is in another 1 yr time or so.

Sad to say our monies will be pretty much stretched when wedding/house reno/honeymoon comes at the same time *pulls hair* looks at pocket.

Member Enigma1612 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    its unwise to have 2 big items. renovation and customary wedding expenses . better to stretch. if nt willing to stay with in laws type. wait aft house ready then customary save all the unnecessary tension. if nt of age and budget constraint . m not willing to put up like 6 months of staying w in laws n htb sibling syndrome n undifferentiated living habits and environment

Member girlinpink is infamous around these parts
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Yeah, you have to choose which you prioritize first- the wedding or the renovation.