More BTO in matured estates!

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member rojak is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

More BTO in matured estates!

This is the latest update from minister Khaw Boon Wan on the possible new matured estates where they will release new BTOs.. those in these areas, you might want to wait a little for those in the west.. (like me), i think no point waiting lah. haiz

Not possible for all mature estates to have BTO projects, says Khaw

SINGAPORE: National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Wednesday said while he has asked HDB to put up more Build to Order (BTO) projects in mature estates, it will not be possible for many of them to benefit from this development, certainly not in the short term.

Writing in his blog, Mr Khaw said this is because most of the mature estates are substantially built up, and there is limited land for public housing.

He was commenting on a media report of a young couple looking forward to a BTO project in Tanjong Pagar.

The Minister said Tanjong Pagar is fully built up and a BTO there is unlikely.

While HDB is still studying the details, Mr Khaw said mature estates such as Kallang/Whampoa and Tampines could benefit from BTO launches next year.

Mr Khaw said his ministry will do its best to meet young couples' aspiration to be able to continue to live near their parents.

But it will not be able to do so in every mature estate.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Another article on the same topic..

More HDB flats in mature estates

HDB has held back on building new flats in mature HDB estates as that could affect “further alarm the market”. But in a bid to help young married couples live near their parents under the Married Child Priority Scheme, they are planning more BTO flats in mature estates such as Tampines, Pasir Ris and possibly others.

The Housing and Development Board (HDB) could be launching more new flats in mature estates next year to help young couples live near their parents, said National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan yesterday.

Tampines GreenWood new BTO flats. Image courtesy of HDB.

He revealed this in a post on his Housing Matters blog, noting that application rates for bigger flats in build-to-order (BTO) projects in Tampines – launched just four days ago – have been high.

Flats in mature estates such as Tampines tend to be more popular because of well-developed transport networks and amenities in these towns.

Last Friday, HDB rolled out close to 4,000 new BTO flats across four estates, including Tampines and Pasir Ris. ‘So far, nearly 8,000 have applied,’ Mr Khaw said. ‘The projects in Tampines are the most popular with high application rates for the four and five-room flats.’

HDB flats in Tampines

New flats in mature estates are more attractive as many couples would like to live near their parents, he said. This is also the first time in recent years that BTO flats have been launched in Tampines.

Launches in mature estates have proven to be wildly popular.

In 2009, 1,718 BTO flats in Queenstown – namely, SkyVille@Dawson and SkyTerrace@Dawson – received over 10,000 subscriptions, or 12 buyers for some units in the estate.

SkyTerrace@Dawson BTO flats launched in 2009

In 2007, 400 flats in Telok Blangah Towers were oversubscribed nearly 20 times, with 7,970 applications.

Mature estates usually have more established infrastructure such as recreational and educational facilities and well-connected transport links.

In such areas, land for building new flats is limited and flats built are generally snapped up quickly.

The Ministry of National Development (MND) ‘has been rather reluctant to launch BTO in mature estates as it worries that such popular launches would attract high subscription rates, further alarming the market’, Mr Khaw said.

He acknowledged that this is a valid concern, but Singaporeans understand that mature estates are popular, he said. ‘We should not be daunted by such a prospect, but should instead try to meet the aspirations of many young couples wanting to set up nests near their parents.’

HDB flats in Queenstown

A large number of BTO flats have been launched in newer towns such as Sengkang and Punggol. Queenstown, a mature estate, saw the introduction of two BTO projects in December 2009.

‘I have asked HDB to look into more mature estates as possibilities. It is too late to prepare suitable sites for this year, but we should be able to put up some for next year’s BTO,’ Mr Khaw said. As some of the new sites would be near existing flats, ‘I hope residents will bear with the construction’.

While more flats in mature estates are on the way, competition for them will be high and young couples will have a better chance of securing units in new towns, he added.

MND has been actively addressing housing concerns. Last Friday, Mr Khaw said that HDB will release more BTO units this year and start building in anticipation of demand.

PropNex CEO Mohamed Ismail welcomed the moves, but added that it would be good for MND to give a full picture of flat availability in both new and mature estates. This will help home seekers decide if they should apply for flats now or later,he said.

Member meiphenglove is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    thanks for posting...

Member jadene33 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    hm... i see.. thanks for the info.

Member melodee is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    yes to mature estates please...hopeful..

Junior Member kris is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    thanks for sharing !

Member rainne is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    hopefully they dont start reducing the flat size again.. i see the flats 10 years ago compared to now go down by 8-10 sqm lor.. now 3 rm flat looks smaller than a pigeon hole T.T

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    yar! i agree with rainne too. the current size is tiny enough.. a 5 room is equivalent to the size of a 4 room 10 years back! which means psf prices are ridiculously high now! >.< oh well. what can we complain about. as long as there's improvement in numbers and location for now, we should be happy. i believe most of us dojn't have that much time to wait another 5 years for dramatic changes..

Member germainetay is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by rojak View Post
    yar! i agree with rainne too. the current size is tiny enough.. a 5 room is equivalent to the size of a 4 room 10 years back! which means psf prices are ridiculously high now! >.< oh well. what can we complain about. as long as there's improvement in numbers and location for now, we should be happy. i believe most of us dojn't have that much time to wait another 5 years for dramatic changes..
    it is ver true. . . a ver real issue but what to do. . .sigh . . .

Junior Member ivansty is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    thank you for sharing the information

Member gypsy2000 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    One more article on having more BTO in mature estates:
    ----------------------------------------
    National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan says he has asked HDB to look into building more Build-To-Order flats in mature estates.

In his latest blog post, Mr Khaw said it's too late to prepare suitable sites for this year.

But he said HDB should be able to offer some BTO launches in mature estates next year.

Mr Khaw said the National Development Ministry has been rather reluctant to launch BTO projects in mature estates as it worries that such popular launches would attract high subscription rates, further alarming the market.

Mr Khaw said he believes Singaporeans understand that mature estates will always attract very high subscription rates.

Rather than be daunted by such a prospect, Mr Khaw said HDB should try to meet the aspirations of many young couples wanting to set up homes near their parents.

He said the response should be to put up more sites in mature estates, even as HDB ramps up BTO launches elsewhere.
    ------------------------------------

Hopefully HDB can build more flats in the mature estate soon, so that we can stay near our parents!

Member kimchoo is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    i think it's very good to have new flats in the mature estates! i think most of us want to be nearer our parents and it's quite silly to buy a flat in punggol (no matter how nice it can be) if our parents stay in the west like jurong/boon lay area. So hurray for this great piece of news!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by kimchoo View Post
    i think it's very good to have new flats in the mature estates! i think most of us want to be nearer our parents and it's quite silly to buy a flat in punggol (no matter how nice it can be) if our parents stay in the west like jurong/boon lay area. So hurray for this great piece of news!
    i agree. i wonder what took them so long to realize we want to live near our parents, but we CAN'T? they came up with schemes such as grants for those who buy houses near their parents, but didn't realize that many of us are not moving further because we want to, but because they do not allow us to?

tt said, i'm looking forward to something in the west too!! doesn't sound like it from Khaw's plans.. but i'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Senior Member godbirdie is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    the queentown BTO which i got,launched in dec 2009 have to wait 2015 for completion..almost 5 yrs later!..if only khaw can speed up process but also worried abt flats being too close to each other in future or quality of flats.heard from frens that the Duxton facing problems on the quality.