Need Advice : from troubled couple...

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member silverdreamz is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Need Advice : from troubled couple...

Hi all,

I sincerely hope to hear some advice for the current situation that we are facing and we are seriously being troubled by this hotel...

Some introduction:
    Last yr we excitedly signed a wedding package with this hotel during the fair and we did not negoiate much items as we are quite unsure of what is to be expected from the bandquet. The actual date for our wedding is 25/12/2011.

As time is getting nearer, we started to get feedbacks from people ard us and came out with a list of standard items to ask from the hotel. We understand different hotels have differents way of workings, but this particular hotel is very strict on the contract we signed. They rejected most of our request and say we have to follow the contract.

The major problem that we faced was the deposit. As per the contract, we have to pay 20% deposit for the 1st time, another 30% to be paid 3 mths before the actual wedding. But during the fair we only need to pay $3800 of the 20% and remaining of the 20% in a month's time. But if I didn't remember wrongly, the sales told us that this can be negoiated. So during the fair, we paid them $3800. After we checked around with our friends, we found out that normal hotels only require 2k-3k as a deposit and remaining to be paid straight after the bandquet. We have explained our situation that recent months business was not good and we have face cash flow problems, so at a short time to cough out $16k was not easy.

All the negoiation went dingdongs here and there till today. Even the hotel deputy GM came to negoiate with us, but still no solution. She even tell us to apply credit card and help us to talk to the bank to increase the credit limit to pay the total deposit by instalments. The total deposit was about 16k, with a 12mths instalment plan, one month we have to pay $1k+, which is too taxing. In the email, the deputy GM also wrote that instruction was being passed down by the directors. If we did not pay by 25/9/2011, they will treat the contract as void and deposit will be forfeited but they will try not to make us lose the deposit should we decide not to take up the contract. This sentence was very threatening in my opinion.

This deputy GM was a crafty person, to our understanding when talking to the sales during the fair, we asked for all corkage charge to be waived and the sales wrote waival of corkage for all liquor. But this deputy GM insist that liquor means only HARD liquor and we still have to pay the corkage for red wine at $30++ per bottle. After that suggest us to buy red wine from them at $35++ include corkage...

I really feel that this Hotel is having a daylight robbery act. I just hope to hear advices on what should we do next and any similar encounters like that? Wedding suppose to be happy but this really caused alot of worries and troubled us.

Junior Member sugar01 is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I think maybe you would like to approach CASE?

Junior Member silverdreamz is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi sugar01, had spoke to CASE and wasn't too positive about it. Deposit part they cant help but as for the corkage issue, we can file a complaint with them.

Senior Member Tenshi is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    silverdreamz mayb you would like to talk to someone else higher position and at the same time negotiate your next deposit to be 8K then the rest to be paid after the banquet. I believe they can make some small changes to this if they really want la.

but as for the corkage hor since the sales person only write waiver of liquor which is really means for hard liquor only leh then the rest of red wine will not be included.

there is another choice is to cut down the number of tables and dun serve wine.

Just for your infor i hve booked my hotel this year and have to pay 20% deposit for my banquet the rest will be after the banquet. and they only waive cockage 5 bottle of liquor the rest will be chargable.

dun bother too much with CASE la they hardly solve such small issue... those big issue like those spa bankrupt leaving the customer not know what to do... (i am one of them)... till now NOTHING from them.

Senior Member Tenshi is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    errr mayb you would like to share with us which hotel is that? at times they response to forum better then your complain direct...

Member silverautumn is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    agree with tenshi that it may help if you reveal the hotel's name. as long as you are very sure whatever you say is supported with factual documents so as to prevent yourself from landing in a defamation suit.

to be honest, from a biz law point of view, you signed the contract knowing about the terms of deposits etc, which means you agreed with all terms and to be bound by it upon signing on it.
    Whatever promised communicated via verbal is not much of a help unless you have a recording of it.

If the hotel is really so strict with the payment etc, then there's not much you can do about it. Unless you are very sure or has come across anyone who managed to negotaite on a better payment term and use that as a reference in your negotiation.

Senior Member rojak is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    I also agree with tenshi, that it's going to be a difficult case for you. The wine issue - is quite common. if they only write liquor, red wine would be difficult. but you can still try to negotiate with the coordinator/manager regarding this, considering you have quite a huge number of tables and thus you're considered big business. i have friends who couldn't get around the wine issue (or maybe couldn't be bothered with it) and served only beer or even no alcohol at all! you can consider this, or suggest cocktails (with the hard liquor that you can bring in) as a replacement.

as for the deposits, not all hotels pay only 2-3k. some are much bigger sums, such as 20-30% downpayment. this makes pretty much sense as they will be making a huge loss if an originally 50k banquet was last minute cancelled, and the couple only needs to forfeit 3k deposit. that said, the 2nd 30% payment is unheard of. I'm not sure why there is such a payment instead of the usual "remaining payment on the day after the banquet", but if it's written clearly in your contract, then it's gonna be difficult to argue your way through. You might want to ask if they will accept regular but smaller payments (e.g. 10% for 3 consecutive months)? Also, i want to bring up a point that if you're so cash-strapped that you cannot afford a 30% payment for your banquet, how sure are you that you will be able ot pay the remaining 70% on the day right after your banquet? You probably want to take this chance to sit down and look at your finances. No doubt, there will be angbaos, but you surely cannot depend wholely on angbaos (some break even, some earn, but there are people who have to top up too). further, if you require angbaos to pay the bulk of your banquet, then you are really very cash-poor, which is not too good a thing in general. An option would be to discuss with the hotel to see if you can cut down on the number of tables. not by a big amount, but even a couple of tables would make a difference. just my two cents worth.