Resale or HDB?

janice84

I'm having a dilema, should I get a resale flat or HDB? I will probably be getting married in 1 year's time, and SO and I are looking at the options for housing. On one hand, first hand HDB seems to be cheaper with all the grants. However, having to wait for 5-6 years is really not going to be good. Which is why I am considering resale flats now. Any advice girls? :)

lihui

hey janice, first hand HDB may may be cheaper for places such as jurong west and mature estates. But you will have to do your sums too. Nowadays a 4 room new HDB is about $280k average, based on the jurong west corporation tiara project last june. Plus complete renovation of the entire house, you may end up paying about $320k++ for your new house. Do compare the BTO launches with resale flats around the area and see if its worth it. At the end, if you are not able to wait for 5 years till the BTO completes, treat the extra money spent as paying for the time saved. :)

gamer

my vote is for hdb, if you can wait the 4-5 years. cheaper with all the first timer grants, especially if you live near your parents.

airmeli

I would say BTO. Because the flats pricing is really very high. No matter where you stay, it is not worth to get if you are not that rich. You can use the money save from housing for future usage. I am currently also waiting for my flats to be completed. I just got my BTO at Punggol...

starryz

Actually not all BTOs are cheap these days. The other time as I was looking at Bukit Panjang BTO their 5 room flats go at $350k - $398k without doors etc. The places surrounding that area Segar 5m resale flats were selling for about $360-$380k. So counting it this way I dont see how BTO would be cheaper after counting in another 40k for renovation, tiles, doors, aircon, cabinets etc.

But with the new cooling measures i hope the prices of new hdbs come down more else its really gonna have to work till 50 yrs old to pay off the loans eek.

airmeli

Actually not all BTOs are cheap these days. The other time as I was looking at Bukit Panjang BTO their 5 room flats go at $350k - $398k without doors etc. The places surrounding that area Segar 5m resale flats were selling for about $360-$380k. So counting it this way I dont see how BTO would be cheaper after counting in another 40k for renovation, tiles, doors, aircon, cabinets etc.

But with the new cooling measures i hope the prices of new hdbs come down more else its really gonna have to work till 50 yrs old to pay off the loans eek.

Even with the cooling plan, I think that we still need to pay until 50. My BTO cost S$333K with finishing, I think HDB is earning like hell. The construction cost is half the price only. Anyone can enlighten me where did the other 50% gone to?

starryz

Yeah I find it hard to believe that HDB BTOs are actually more costly than resale flats in certain areas of singapore..it just doesn't make sense.. i believe "they" earn alot from it. The new BTOs are mostly 30+ storeys and the flats are soo much smaller than before yet prices doubled. insanity.

airmeli, which area did you bid on? I am assuming 333k is for a 4 room? With finishing doesn't sound too bad. The new ones I saw all didnt came with doors i think.

Last edited:

airmeli

Yeah I find it hard to believe that HDB BTOs are actually more costly than resale flats in certain areas of singapore..it just doesn't make sense.. i believe "they" earn alot from it. The new BTOs are mostly 30+ storeys and the flats are soo much smaller than before yet prices doubled. insanity.

airmeli, which area did you bid on? I am assuming 333k is for a 4 room? With finishing doesn't sound too bad. The new ones I saw all didnt came with doors i think.

Yar. I hate it when "they" say they incurred a lost from from bulding flats. I dun see how can they incur a lost. :( I initially wanted to buy resales at Yishun but Yishun home are generally about 20+ years old. The price is also not much cheaper than new flats and I also worried ah long case. I have confirmed my BTO at Emerald Punggol. Very near MRT so more expensive than most BTO. But my friend who BTO half a year earlier and even nearer than mine got it about around 270K only. :( So I say the cooling measures only for private housing not public housing.