Platinum vs white gold?

BC21

The eternal question... platinum or white gold for engagement ring?? Been hearing conflicting reports... which do you recommend and why?

ceshy83

Yellow Gold, my hubby and i ard cmf to buy yellow gold lor....
Gold value ma....
somemore can gadai ma..... wkhahahaha

astutekitty

Hi BC21

I heard that Platinum is much stronger than White Gold but cannot resize if you slim down your finger or you get fatter =x ... Oops.

But for White Gold, you can resize them again in future. And also long term of wearing, the White Gold will turn slightly "yellowish" -.-

Erm but hor I still preferred White Gold because more trendy and many design, not like platinum ... limited design. =x

astutekitty

Yellow Gold, my hubby and i ard cmf to buy yellow gold lor....
Gold value ma....
somemore can gadai ma..... wkhahahaha

Hi ceshy83
I thought of the value too but now when you think of gold super expensive now ... next time if it drop, you will lugi ... lose more money ... if value increase, will you sell it to buy a new pair?

If you buy a new pair, the new pair still cannot take over the 1st pair position. Meaning, no matter what the new pair is not the pair that you have purchased for your wedding.

magicdust

platinum is about 2.5x more expensive than white gold because it is more rare and more hardy. can resist knocks and scratches better.

white gold is more common, can have scratches. more obvious on matte than polished surfaces. it will tarnish to a yellowish color with time. but think you can send for polishing to get back the silverish shine. just take note that polishing is removing material and are not recommended that you do that often. else you'll end up w a very thin ring and your engravings will get shallower.

if you have the budget then go for platinum i guess. mine is white gold, more to budget constraint.

pinnpinn

Mine is white gold too. Initially wanted to go for platinum as my HTB's SIL told us that its better and wont go out of shape. But when consulting the sales person at Gold Heart, he advice us to go for white gold instead as firstly, it's cheaper. 2nd, even if there's scratches, just need to go for polishing, which only cost like 10-20? (cant remember the price). And you dont need to polish on a yearly basis. Even if you do so, it will still be soooo much better than platinum.

jessy

If engagement ring, i guess white gold coz more design. But would recommend platinum for wedding rings coz it last alot longer and scratch resistant (seem like a wish & promise for the marriage also. haha). my platinum pendent bought 13yrs ago still look as gd as new! And I wore it everyday. =)

koonie

Hey. I would go for white gold because i have more designs to choose from. Platinum gives me a more male-ish vibe. Haha.

poshberries

Hi, indeed Platinum is more robust and lasting but it is really very expensive as compared to White Gold. Personally, I have bought White Gold wedding bands too. They are being offered more designs and can have sizes altered easily. The only drawback is it will turned yellow after sometime. But you can plate it back very easily which costs $25 to $40 depends on how much coating is being used. Platinum is scare therefore the price is higher. Hope this helps. Thanks!

I need to explain a little for you: Platinum is a white metal, but unlike gold it is used in jewelry in almost its pure form (approximately 95% pure). Platinum is extremely long wearing and is very white, so it does not need to be rhodium plated like white gold does. Platinum is very dense and heavy metal, so a platinum ring will feel slightly heavier than an 18kt gold ring.

White gold is an alloy of gold and some white metals such as silver and palladium. So an 18kt white gold ring contains 75% pure gold, with 25% other metals such as silver and palladium. So the amount of gold is the same but the alloy used is different.

Real info extracted: http://gilletts.com.au/information.php?info_id=39

rojak

Platinum is generally more expensive than white gold, but the good part about platinum is that it doesn't change color. So after many years, a white gold ring becomes yellowish and ugly, while platinum retains its silver color. Considering that the wedding band is going to be worn for life, this property of platinum would be very good. you wouldn't want yellowish rings 20 yrs later! >.<

geraldineyap

platinum would really be ideal if budget allows for it......yellow gold is definitely out for me....white gold would be practical coz it is something that is more affordable although daily wear means it scratches like really easily...which is unfortunately unavoidable...maybe can buy newer pairs by the 5th anniversary if there r really bad scratches by then? Hahaha...

mijuzmiz

it voices down to individual affordability. i have platinum for my proposal ring and white gold for my wedding band. on the surface, cant see any difference on its ring itself.

wanted to buy a rose gold, or a mixture then. was advised that it will be a challenge when it comes to re-size in future too.

kimchoo

yeah it is all about the affordability for different couples. the platinum ring and engagement rings in general would usually be very nicely priced already. haha...oh! rose gold would be very nice! how come it will be a challenge to re-size in future?

Sderifan

Mine is a platinum! It can be resize too and material is not lost but reorganized and not lost unlike white gold.

fmtdiamond

yeah it is all about the affordability for different couples. the platinum ring and engagement rings in general would usually be very nicely priced already. haha...oh! rose gold would be very nice! how come it will be a challenge to re-size in future?

Yes fully agree if you got the budget, PT is very nice. rose gold can only buy 18K to prevent tarnish (many sales people will tell you won't tarnish, which is not true).
why re-sizing a rose gold is a challenge bcos locate plating of rose gold can not make it.
hope it does help... take care all