Are you happy with the recent cooling measures?

creampudding

Like creating more BTOs, stopping the upcoming DBSS projects?

I feel that it's taking a good step to giving us more choices and making a more informed decision. At least we can see quite a few choices before applying, and taking note of the following months' BTOs as well. What do you brides think?

ladyinwhite

about the DBSS one, i had a friend who bought The Peak at Toa Payoh about 4 years ago. that time everyone was complaining saying that it is too expensive at about $598k, but now i feel that it's cheap comparing to the recent DBSS price. Plus they didnt release any HDB in mature estate since then. i feel like i should have bought it now, haha.

zenny

glad that khaw is listening to people's opinions. i see a difference between last year when there were only 2-3 BTO launches, and now almost every month.

pinnpinn

I think because now there are alot of BTOs launching, thus people got more choices which result in the decrease in bid ratio. Also, he also mentioned that there wont be monthly BTOs anymore and going forward, couples will choose from the remaining available flats. Meaning couples dont have to wait for 3 years for the flats the be ready.

I guess there's pros and cons luh. And i believed there will be oversupply of flats due to the massive supply of BTOs now.

meiphenglove

Oh did he mention that no more monthly BTOs? i am not sure if there will be an oversupply since all of them still have a higher bid ratio to the number of flats available.

rojak

actually, there is NO INCREASE in the number of BTOs. the original plan was 1-3 BTOs per month. Now, Khaw decides to "increase" the number of BTOs by combining 2 BTOs to a single one, and releasing them together to make a big BTO (2-6). so each release looks bigger, but in actual fact, the number of flats released in the year is still what was pre-planned already.

The DBSS has multiple flaws, so it is a good thing that it has been removed. It's not just about the increase in costs of DBSS, but also the many loopholes in the system that they didn't even resolve before launching such a scheme. It's better they stop it and review it thoroughly before continuing with it further.

And i doubt Khaw will allow there to be oversupply of flats in 3-5 yrs to come. He may be trying to increase the supply, but that is to meet the huge market demand. You realize that the BTOs as still oversubscribed, so there wouldn't be many "leftover" units, unlike many years ago before BTO started.

sweetluv

i think pinnpinn means compared to last time? last year there was only 2-3 BTO launch in the entire year.

pinnpinn

hmmmm.. correct me if im wrong. My parents, as well as my friends (who already went for flat selection and those monitoring the BTO scheme) told me that Khaw somehow mentioned in his blog or the press that there will be lesser BTO (as compared to the recent few months of BTO every month). though the size might be bigger as mentioned by rojak. i somehow, also heard from both my parents and friends that in the future, couples need not have to wait 3 years for a flat, and can just select from existing available flats, like what my parents went though. And it wont be like those "by invitation only" now. Correct me if im wrong again.

Also, it was a big issue on the papers and news (somewhere during election period) when Mao mentioned that there are actually 1000plus surplus flat, so there are no hurry and rush for couples to get a flat since there are still sooo many available flats around (which why didnt the government release it to the public?) And that was when BTO is not that common. So, many, including me, are speculating that there will be quite a number of left over flats when the BTOs are all up and completed (somehow proven by the drop-out rate everyday reflected on HDB)

Anyway, it's not a concern for me now because i've choosen a unit recently (after soo many failed attempts!) So am just keeping a lookout for my girl-friends who are still waiting for their turn ^^