Tea ceremony

OXY

Hi all, was hoping someone could share more about the tea ceremony, the procedures, and what to expect. I've only attended a couple before when I was very young so am not familiar with the ceremony. My parents are not very traditional but I know that having the tea ceremony will make them very happy. Thanks in advance!

Josep

You definitely need a traditional tea set (for aesthetics), else simple teapot will do.

Order of sitting

Male elder on the right, female on the left. Groom and Bride also the same. So you will end up with Groom facing male elder, Bride facing Female elder

Parents first follow by the eldest in the family tree (grandmother, grandfather etc). The order will be from most senior to junior which includes your own elder sisters or brothers.

If there is anyone younger than you, then after serving the tea (and collecting the angbao/gifts), its time for both of you to sit down and be served by the younger sisters/brothers.

You can chose to stand or kneel, depend on your parents

cuddlyhugs

You definitely need a traditional tea set (for aesthetics), else simple teapot will do.

Order of sitting

Male elder on the right, female on the left. Groom and Bride also the same. So you will end up with Groom facing male elder, Bride facing Female elder

Parents first follow by the eldest in the family tree (grandmother, grandfather etc). The order will be from most senior to junior which includes your own elder sisters or brothers.

If there is anyone younger than you, then after serving the tea (and collecting the angbao/gifts), its time for both of you to sit down and be served by the younger sisters/brothers.

You can chose to stand or kneel, depend on your parents

Thanks for sharing!!! Great help

jadechiu

I really need a crash course on this LOL... wish me luck for next week meeting with in-laws regarding tea ceremony!!

xoxo_xoxo1

My in-laws are very traditional too. I was hoping to get some more information about the formal tea ceremony other than asking them about it. Hoping to impress them! ;-)

chewbacca61

The tea ceremony is really a formal and dedicated tradition to be kept in my Fiancee's family side. I'm nervous how to pull it off well