To serve or not to serve shark fin's soup

mas8285

Hello all,

Shark Fin's soup is typicially served at chinese wedding banquets.

Looking at how sharks are killed for their fins, i don't think i'll wanna serve shark fins soup for the wedding banquet.

Any idea what can i substitute this for? and how do i nicely explain it to my relatives?

Thanks for your suggestion!

applejuice

hey mas8289, that's great to find someone concerned about the sharks and wildlife. :D i will not be having sharksfin at my wedding as well. instead i'll probably go for other alternatives. some other dishes which are probably as 'luxurious' would be dishes like Eight Treasures Soup, Lobster Soup, Double-Boiled Soups with Truffles and even Abalone Soups. :D

nowadays people are getting more environmentally cautious, i think if you explain that you will be having those soups above instead, they wont mind. in fact, some of those suggestions above are even comparable to the traditional sharks fin soups. :) all the best! :D

Aquila

Not having shark fin soup too.

As known, the actual fin itself is tasteless.
Basically its the soup broth that make it nice.

i think generally parents / relatives dont really mind??
Half of my friends' wedding that i have attended, do not serve shark fin too.
Seafood soup or Eight Treasures Soup taste just as good.

thetoots

it really depends... i thnk u can replace abalone soup with sharkfin soup.. if let say ur relatives are those old traditional pple

poshberries

If you asked me if to have shark fins or not, I would say no because it is not environmental and ecological friendly. But...without shark fins is like so "tasteless" in a banquet dinner and I think some guests would be disappointed too. Though it is cruel to the sharks but I really think shark fins' soup is damn nice because personally I like shark fins so much too. But if you really do not want it, you can replace it with fish maw which is also quite expensive and at the same time, the broth would be the same I think so, so the taste will not really differ much from the shark fins.

astutekitty

There may be hotels not serving shark fins for wedding banquet, such as Fairmont Singapore etc. However, that was last year when I ask for their package details. Not sure if they have changed their menu. :)

Since no shark fin served, I believe they will replace with something that are equal value. ^^

iceee77

i think i might change my sharkfin soup menu too into fish maw and crab meat
however, will that displease the rest of my guest esp elders whom are expecting to eat them?

moreover, the 3 options for soup to select are all sharkfin, will the hotel be willing to change them?

guosh

i'm not having sharks fin soup too. Most of the venuess recommend to change to fish maw which is think is ok..

lassymoo

but there are some guests who will still think that no shark's fin = dinner is much cheaper... :( sometimes the whole wedding planning process, i wonder who it is about...what others expect or what we want...

poohbeary

this one oso headache ah...if parents-in-law say muz hv sharks fin soup, how to say no to them leh? wait end up quarreling before the wedding is even over wor...

romantica

It's good that you care for the wildlife even though it's your wedding day. There are other alternatives to shark fins soup that you can choose. I really admire you. :)

0630han

save the sharks =) that's great. i would like to opt for that..
still, i cannot help but wonder if the parents/guests/relatives will be displeased that there's no shark fin soup at dinner.

Sher

lobster/crab meat soup is a good replacement. quite many hotels offer them as alternatives now.

w2013

Crab meat soup seems like a good, similar-tasting and environmentally friendly alternative indeed..

Mike1982

now most places either take shark fin out of the menu or they will have some non-shark fin alternatives bah