Saving for wedding

goodeals87

any1 kinda share how to cut down wedding expenses, eg credit card, lower down jewellery, or watever expenses that is not necessary pls share here

rojak

it's a balance to what you want, what your family wants, and what you can afford. there are so many ways of cutting down expenses -- smaller banquets, no banquets, catering for tea reception instead, no wedding photography, budget photography.. the list goes on. it's whether you want to budget on items, or do away completely with some items... you need to discuss this with your SO and your family :)

tracylim

Check out the manhantan credit card. I just signed up, it gives $200 cash rebate every $3k spent per quarter.

carlise

set a budget and stick to it. otherwise the tendency to top up for less necessary items is very high. especially for ladies where the temptation is so great to splurge for this once in a lifetime occasion. :)

rojak

i think banquet is not that bad, coz there are angbaos that will help to cover a large part of that expense. i feel that bridal studios and photoshoot is the greatest money spender.. coz seriously, alot of brides later say that they don't look at those photos after the wedding.. it's essentially paying for a book (and photos) that you only view once.. and at most another time when your kids are of marriageable age..

pinnpinn

I think making a list sld help? I maintain an excel sheet to track my costs; so to make sure I stick to my budget. If I do exceed, I'll make sure it's not by a significant amount?

rainne

i agree totally with rojak! alot of my friends also say after they got married the photo album just throw inside the storeroom le.. so its kinda like just view only once. I think can save up by not spending on additional photos, those money can be used for the house instead and nicer interior designing :)

fy5fo

Yeah, actually a lot of things in a wedding are not necessary. For me, I am forgoing pre-wedding photo-shoot, we will be doing a casual concept photo-shoot instead. Things such as wedding cake is also unnecessary, but that is just for me. :)

santos23

photoshoot wise, take a basic package. you will also need to be firm when you meet your photographer after the photo-shoot. every photo will look nice and it is definitely tempting to take more than what your package provides.

rojak

Yeah, actually a lot of things in a wedding are not necessary. For me, I am forgoing pre-wedding photo-shoot, we will be doing a casual concept photo-shoot instead. Things such as wedding cake is also unnecessary, but that is just for me. :)

high five, fy5fo! I am also doing a concept shoot. not having wedding cake either, since the hotel will have a "cake" to cut. that's enough. :) i'm also doing DIY for things and getting friends' help as far as possible, such as designing of stuff, managing and coordinating, emcee, AD photography, florists... can save quite a bit on that too. And jewellerry can custom, will save on the brand name too :)

germainetay

agree wif both rojak & fy5fo. . . very good tips dere. . .thanx for sharing sia. . .

i wana make my very simple as pssible. . .

poshberries

Hi dear, I have no ideas on how to save but only advices on teaching you how to reduce unnecessary expenses such as ensuring you keep a track record of what you spend. Record everything little single details on how much you have spent & what things you have bought or thinking to buy on a spreadsheet. This in turn will assist you to monitor of how much have been spent so that you can cut down your budget on your next purchase. You must enforce yourself to do even if it is very troublesome and tiring because only by doing it, it will make you realise what & how much was being spent. And you will also be reminded of every things you have bought.

You can also ask around from your friends, relatives or close colleagues who have things they have specially bought for their weddings yet did not get to use them to share or temporarily lend you so that you can save more or less. Do not feel shy or ashame asking from them. I am very sure good friends will sure not mind and be even more than willing to give you their assistance. You may also get yourself hands on for making your very own & unique angbao boxes, wedding ring pillows, tabletop linings etc. It will also make your own wedding unique and really memorable. This is another method of cutting down costs.

Although I have not created a spreadsheet myself to track all the spending expenses but I have a rough idea on how much was already spent. I will also do it regardless of the troubles. As for the things that my friends have purchase, they have all agreed to lend me for things like "handmade angbao boxes, wedding ring pillows etc".

Lastly, pls do not need to minimise your budget so tight till you do not dare to spend a single cent further. Some things that really need to be bought, just go ahead to purchase but always remember to do some research for the price, quality and quantity first! So let's both work on it and try alright?! Cheers and hope this helps. Thanks.

missylis

high five, fy5fo! I am also doing a concept shoot. not having wedding cake either, since the hotel will have a "cake" to cut. that's enough. :) i'm also doing DIY for things and getting friends' help as far as possible, such as designing of stuff, managing and coordinating, emcee, AD photography, florists... can save quite a bit on that too. And jewellerry can custom, will save on the brand name too :)

me too..I am thinking of giving the cake a pass and just using the one the hotel provides. think the last 10 weddings I been to all never serve cakes too.

poshberries

same here haha..I never get to eat the cakes for so many weddings that I have attended. But I am thinking of making a 3 to 5 tier wedding cake:p

lassymoo

poshberries: wah...the 3 to 5 tier wedding cake will be expensive...but if it's meaningful to you and it's within your budget, then go for it! :) i think what you said abt spending in the areas that needs to be spent on is very important...i know people who try to save on this and that and ended up feeling miserable and regretful coz this is also our once-in-a-lifetime moment!

tt said, i think can oso be realistic in planning the budget. for example if you would really like a prewedding photoshoot in Europe but that will cost $10K or more to get it done, maybe it will hv to be scrapped? budgeting is v impt so you don't spend more than you can. good time to look for good bargains! :)

rojak

i agree that having a real cake will be very nice, considering now everyone uses a fake cake. so boring!! but that said, do make sure that you have a crowd that will appreciate it. i would love to have real cake, but 70% of my guests at the banquet will be my parents/in-law's friends and relatives, so i don't think they will really appreciate it. no point then.

regarding photoshoot overseas, thats what i thought!! i really really REALLY wanted to do my shoot in europe, and specifically ireland because that's where my htb and i got together many yrs back. would be so meaningful. that said, it would cost a bomb to fly there for a shoot! so we overcame that by doing a shoot in singapore, by carefully selecting locations that will make it look liek we were back in ireland!! whoaaahaha. then, yrs later, when we have more $$, maybe we can do a real anniversary shoot there (hopefully not too old and ugly by then) :)

pinnpinn

I love to have a cake too for my coming event! But given that it's only a ROM, i might just give up on that idea and get a real one instead for my AD.

That's a good idea rojak! Anniversay shot. I always wanted to have my photoshots done overseas. Not that we cant afford it's just that we havent found any that we fancy. And we very much prefer casual, non-formal shots. Save us some money too! I don't want to start my marriage in debts :X

poohbeary

wedding cake seems more like a western thing hor...most chinese couples are happy to go with just the hotel styrofoam that needs them to "geh geh" cut...one thing is the cake itself is so expensive la...whole wedding dinner at the hotel already so expensive lor...and not so many ppl appreciate the cake oso...tho those tiered wedding cakes like w fondant flowers so pretty and dreamy...! :)

chloelee

haha you are spot on poohbear.. wedding cakes are popular over in the States but in sg like not many ppl appreciate it leh. think kinda not worth it to buy a big cake when people dont really go wow over it.