Anyone looking at condominiums instead of BTO/HDB?

rojak

Just wondering which would be a better investment.. BTO for HDB generally costs 300k-400k, by the time you can sell it in 5yrs, it's about 200k profit (depending on location). resale for HDB profit margin very small.. DBSS and EC also very small.. but condos tend to increase in price quite rapidly, especially for some good locations. Seems like it is the best investment opportunity.. just that it costs quite a bit. Anyone else here considering condos as their first property?

pinnpinn

I've considered Condo before. But but but, the price is wayyy too steep. Especially the stamp duty and progressive payment. I think you need to be cash rich or have financial support from family. I wont want to see myself paying off loan for next 30-40 years. And even for EC, me and my HTB have to fork out like 2000ish a month just to repay the loan. I cant imagine how much more I need to pay for EC. So, advice is, do your calculation well before deciding on what to get!

gypsy2000

pinnpinn:
I've considered Condo before. But but but, the price is wayyy too steep. Especially the stamp duty and progressive payment. I think you need to be cash rich or have financial support from family. I wont want to see myself paying off loan for next 30-40 years. And even for EC, me and my HTB have to fork out like 2000ish a month just to repay the loan. I cant imagine how much more I need to pay for EC. So, advice is, do your calculation well before deciding on what to get!

-----------------------------
Yes, i agree with pinnpinn.. better to think carefully before committing to such a condominium... the price of a condominium is far too high for most middle income families to afford, plus the high stamp duty and monthly maintenance fees.. so better think thrice before committing.

hope that helps!

rojak

yeah.. the EC prices are just exhorbitant. worse are the dbss, which are essentially just prettier HDBs. will not add any more value than a normal BTO when you're selling it later on. I agree with all of you that the financial burden of anything more than a BTO is just too great for a newly wed couple. I've decided that BTO is the best investment for young couples, which cost less too, so that if we want to invest in another property, we can save up much more quickly as compared to having spent a huge sum of money on a DBSS/EC. :)

poohbeary

yeah...especially after getting married which is v expensive already ah! bank account need some time to recover wor...if buy the condo leow, confirmed the bank account will continue to be dry like desert ah! hehe

pinnpinn

Haha. Better not start marriage life in debts! and the new DBSS in tamp is ridiculously expensive! 5room unit going for like $880k. I can get a good level EC for that, at a cheaper price. T.T

rojak

well, actually the EC prices aren't that bad. the one that just came out -- Bukit Panjang EC.. has 2 bedrooms going for ~500k. The size is equivalent to a 4-room BTO... so the price isn't THAT bad actually.. considering that after 10 years, you "naturally" own a condominium... sounds good eh? :D

shopperholic

but the area leh...not so keen on bukit panjang. but like what u said, good alternative to condo. HDB price nowadays oso not that cheap..