+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread: Wedding Dowry
10-05-2013 05:44 PM #1
Hi ppl, can I check what is the reasonable amt for dowry?
11-05-2013 12:55 PM #2
I think it depends on how many table u are giving ur wife side first.
03-07-2013 04:34 PM #3
Are you referring to Bride Price (离乳娉金) - Betrothal Token?
There are basically two ang pow that you need to prepare (if you are a hokkien):
- Bride Price (离乳娉金) - Betrothal Token
- Diaper Ang Pow (尿布钱) - Appreciation Token
Betrothal Token - A portion of it will be return to you by the bride side. For e.g. You give $3888, maybe the bride side only take $1,000. The bride side will then take this $1,000 to prepare Dowry items for the bride or in one of my friend case, they use it to buy a set gold jewellery for her instead.
Appreciation Token - This is not to be return by the bride family. It's a token of appreciation for bringing up a good & filial daughter and letting the Groom to have such a nice and lawful wife.
Now back to your question. If you are referring to "Bride Price" then it depends on how many tables the bride side are taking cause at the end of the day, the ang pows collected from these tables are kept by the bride side. E.g. 5 tables ang pows = $7000. So they would be keeping $7000 to themselves.
However, there are a few scenario:
1. Bride side take quite a fair bit from the bride price but return back to the couples all the ang pows collected from the bride side tables.
2. Bride side take a little from the bride price but kept the ang pows collected from the bride side tables.
3. Bride side take quite a fair bit from the bride price and kept the ang pows collected from the bride side tables. (Quite rare cause the elderly will see this as more of "selling" daughter than marrying off daughter)
14-01-2014 05:20 PM #4
this has been very helpful. thank you guys.
15-01-2014 02:39 PM #5
tnx for the detailed info. this is really helpful.
19-02-2015 01:24 PM #6
Is there a fixed amount for this?
19-02-2015 05:00 PM #7
also looking for exact amount for this...
15-10-2015 11:31 AM #8
15-10-2015 05:11 PM #9
By bulldoze in forum Wedding Planning TipsReplies: 5Last Post: 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM
By poohbeary in forum Wedding Planning TipsReplies: 5Last Post: 24-01-2014, 09:08 AM
By crudestar in forum Wedding Planning TipsReplies: 3Last Post: 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
By ych87 in forum Wedding Planning TipsReplies: 4Last Post: 21-10-2012, 10:16 PM
By Yuling83 in forum Wedding Planning TipsReplies: 1Last Post: 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM