Wedding Prep - No. of pax

+ Reply to Thread
    Member iamgracey is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Wedding Prep - No. of pax

Hi all,

I can't get this off my mind so I thought I needed to hear some advice from you ladies here.

My bf and I are going to get married late 2014. We both like simplicity, just a solemnization with our closest friends and family without any wedding banquet.

My parents are the modern kind, and for my side relatives we are just going to invite the closest - which is less than/around 30.

I thought this was agreed on, until my bf's family wanted to invite their entire family. I don't mind inviting his aunties/uncles that we see often, but his parents want to invite every single person in the family. People we have never seen, or just during CNY. His father's side has 12 siblings and mother's side has 7, plus their families, I think it can go up to 100 or more ppl just on his side?

I'm honestly really uncomfortable with this as I thought we can have a less than 100 pax solemnization. Plus, inviting and spending money on people I don't really know? I feel really awkward and out of place. I believe my bf and I just want a close gathering with our loved ones... not entertaining people we don't know.

I really don't know what to do. I usually get along fine with his parents, but the thought of this really makes me dreading to get married. I wish I can just go to ROM and just get this over with....

Junior Member SereneChai is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hi dear.

Below are my personal thoughts, so perhaps it might be able to help you somehow.

I personally feel that a wedding is just for a day and a marriage is a lifetime. First of all, I strongly encourage you to discuss this issue with your partner because the wedding is about both of you. Both of you must come to a decision whether to involve close kin or everyone in the family before planning anything about the wedding.

He can find time to speak to his parents about both of your concerns, being as parents they should be able to understand the difficulties especially financial issues since they have been throught this path too. I would strongly recommend a peaceful talk between him and his parents first. Find out exactly what the folks want and let them know both of you will try your best to accomodate at your best efforts. However try not to involve the folks too much in wedding preparation because the more comments the more complicated it becomes.

Since it is still some time away, take some time to work it out with the folks first. Meanwhile do some research on the ideal venue and calculate the costs, as large number of guests means more expenses, it will be good to share these costs with the folks to let them know what you guys can and can't afford. Communication is very important when planning for big day afterall you don't wish to let the folks feel you disrespect them or anything negative.

Member iamgracey is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Thanks SereneChai..

Thing is, we have both spoken to them about this issue but they are quite unwilling to budge. I understand that the wedding day is once in a lifetime, and since he's the son, they probably would want some 'face' also, therefore wanting to invite so many people.

I agree with you, I don't want to disrespect them. We've spoken to them about finances also, and guess what? They said they don't mind paying the extra cost for all the other people.

Junior Member corrinemay is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    hi iamgracey!

hmm so his parents will be the ones to pay for the extra cost? well i expected that while i was reading what you posted above. that's good, at least they will shoulder the additional cost.

however, i also understand your point. i mean, it's gonna be your wedding, your big day. so it's very important for you that everything you want is granted.

i hope you will be able to settle this. you still have plenty of time. many things are yet to happen.