What is a Dowry, Betrothal, Actual Day Traditional Package? What to buy as well?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member poshberries is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile

Thumbs up What is a Dowry, Betrothal, Actual Day Traditional Package? What to buy as well?

Pls someone advise what is:
    1. Dowry Package?
    2. Betrothal Package?
    3. Actual Day Traditional Package?
    4. Guo Da Li package?

Where to buy, what to buy and how to use? Pls guide. Thanks alot!!!

Senior Member meilingg is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Traditional Wedding Dowry Special Package

Descendants Pail Complete Set (Traditional red color plastic pail signifying prosperous and fruitful Marriage (子孙满堂).)

Mug Set (Modern design wedding mug set, very suitable for young couples as wedding keepsake. Remind yourself of your lifetime wedding sweet memory whenever you see the mug!)

Dining Set - Oriental Xi (Suitable to use as dowry to which signifies well being & prosperous after marriage(丰衣足食). It can be used to eat longan soup on the actual wedding day or as the return gifts to the parent in law.)

Teaset - Pearl Dragon Phoenix

Oriental Chopstick

Handmade Silk Pocket Mirror

Dowry Box Set (Heartshaped) (Beautiful Chinese traditional dowry box which consists of all items that you need as sewing kit. Items included are needles, threads, needle cushion, measuring tape, scissors, 2 packs of red packet (each consists of one pack of large yuan coin and one pack of small yuan coin). )

Slipper (Xi)

Lady Fan

Prosperity Lamp (Bedside lamps shall be turned on from the day of bed setting until the actual wedding day. It means for the wishes of growing next generation for the wedding couple (生子添丁).)

Face Towel Set (Return a face towel set as the gift to the parents in law.
    2 pcs of towel are included in one set. It should also be included in the dowry(嫁妆).)

Charcoal (Charcoal is to indicate best wishes for good luck of the wedding couple (代代兴旺).)

Mini 5 Element Seeds (Chinese wedding is always emphasis on good wishes for the wedding couple to have good & happy life after the marriage. A pair of mini 5 element seeds to symbolize prosperity and abundance (五谷丰收)and no worry about future in term of financial.)

Dragon Phoenix Comb (used for hair dressing(上头) or included in the dowry(嫁妆))

Source from http://www.shuangxile.com/webshaper/...roductItem=305

Member poohbeary is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    i think can just go to those traditional wedding gift shops and get their help rite? but hor, i think it also boils down to the individual set of parents leh...this thing also need to get the parents' input de...some couples go with the bride's mother to select the items lor...

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Betrothal Package - Hokkien/Teochew

Dragon Phoenix Incensus (2 pairs are included as the betrothal(聘礼)to be sent over to the brides home. 1 pair will be returned to groom's family as the return gifts(回礼). Both side will light up the incenses on the actual wedding day.)

Four Treasure (Teo Chew/Hokkien usually use four treasure as the gift of betrothal(聘礼).)

Mini 5 Element Seeds (Chinese wedding is always emphasis on good wishes for the wedding couple to have good & happy life after the marriage. A pair of mini 5 element seeds to symbolize prosperity and abundance (五谷丰收)and no worry about future in term of financial.)

Red Cloth for Main Door (9.9ft red cloth for main door. It is usually to be used from the betrothal day for both bride and groom family to indicate good news and best wishes for the family to have wedding celebrations. It can be hung on the main door throughout the year for wealth, health and properous wishes.)

Dragon Phoenix Candles (pairs are included as the betrothal(聘礼) to be sent over to the brides home. 1 pair will be returned to groom's family as the return gifts(回礼). Both side will light up the candle on the actual wedding day.)

Red Packet

Source from : http://www.shuangxile.com/webshaper/...roductItem=302

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Betrothal Package - Cantonese/Hakka

Dragon Phoenix Incensus (2 pairs are included as the betrothal(聘礼)to be sent over to the brides home. 1 pair will be returned to groom's family as the return gifts(回礼). Both side will light up the incenses on the actual wedding day.)

Red Cloth (9.9ft) (9.9ft red cloth for main door. It is usually to be used from the betrothal day for both bride and groom family to indicate good news and best wishes for the family to have wedding celebrations. It can be hung on the main door throughout the year for wealth, health and properous wishes.)

Dried Food (Cantonese/Hakka usually use dried food as the gift of betrothal(聘礼).)

Red Packet

Dragon Phoenix Candles (2 pairs are included as the betrothal(聘礼) to be sent over to the brides home. 1 pair will be returned to groom's family as the return gifts(回礼). Both side will light up the candle on the actual wedding day.)

Source: http://www.shuangxile.com/webshaper/...roductItem=303

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Other than shuang xi le, you can try golden happiness.

http://www.goldenhappiness.com.sg

Member mellowhearts is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Wow...this is very informative indeed! When I got married, we were rather confused over the dowry, betrothal gifts! All the traditional items we got from the traditional wedding gift shop like poohbeary mentioned coz we were so clueless!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by meilingg View Post
    Other than shuang xi le, you can try golden happiness.

http://www.goldenhappiness.com.sg
    Hi meilingg, thank you for such great info. Actually, I have already read up abit but I am still very confused on so many things that need to be bought and consider of. And I do not know if some things are part of the essential items or can be taken out of the package. Pls advise. Thanks.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by poshberries View Post
    Hi meilingg, thank you for such great info. Actually, I have already read up abit but I am still very confused on so many things that need to be bought and consider of. And I do not know if some things are part of the essential items or can be taken out of the package. Pls advise. Thanks.
    We did asked my future mother in law about this. Most of it are needed. But she told us need not buy those package. Cos it costs more as they packed everything nicely. She got tell us can get it elsewhere cheaper. Not sure where thou cos she say she will settle it for us.

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by poohbeary View Post
    i think can just go to those traditional wedding gift shops and get their help rite? but hor, i think it also boils down to the individual set of parents leh...this thing also need to get the parents' input de...some couples go with the bride's mother to select the items lor...
    Hi Poohbeary, not all the parents know about this especially when it is the 1st time for the both sides...haha! My case is like that loh...I'm the 1st to get married and my boyfriend is also the 1st getting married, no one seemed to know the actual procedures and traditions. Very stress now!

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by poshberries View Post
    Hi Poohbeary, not all the parents know about this especially when it is the 1st time for the both sides...haha! My case is like that loh...I'm the 1st to get married and my boyfriend is also the 1st getting married, no one seemed to know the actual procedures and traditions. Very stress now!
    How about relatives??

Member kimchoo is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    yeah it's like that nowadays...parents also quite new to the whole thing! so may not know what to get, what to do, etc etc. all can find out together!

OH...relatives? hmm...i have been cautioned about getting input from the relatives who may want/ expect things that may not fit in with the couple? in the case of different faiths, the relatives may suggest things that may not be appropriate...

Member lassymoo is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    yeah...i've also heard stories of relatives "adding salt adding vinegar" to things which ended up becoming more "troublesome" for the couples...parents also feel very "wei nan" in that situation lo...

Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by lassymoo View Post
    yeah...i've also heard stories of relatives "adding salt adding vinegar" to things which ended up becoming more "troublesome" for the couples...parents also feel very "wei nan" in that situation lo...
    yes yes! my Gu Gu is one of them~
    My father initially listens to her while my mum feels don't have the needs to ask for so many things...
    After a few times of my Gu Gu trying to "brain wash" my parents. Now my parents got fed up and just ignored her and told her they let us decides...

Senior Member rojak is on a distinguished road
    Perfect Points
    View Wedding Profile
    Hmmm if the bride and groom hav different dialects, which dialect should we follow to determine the gifts/items to bring?