Anyone has bad experience with AD photographer?

michesoo

Hi everyone, I need some expert advice and tips. My wedding was held in early Sep 2013 and the experience with my AD photographer was unpleasant. Is anyone able to advise me on the recourse which I could seek? Please advise how I can deal with an irresponsible photog who over-promised but undelivered? I paid over S$4k for his AD photography and videography services. Some of issues I encountered are:

1. repeated delay in providing pictures (just got them on 25 Dec 2013)
2. non quality (supposedly edited) pictures given
3. missed out on taking important moments/objects
4. when enquired about missing pictures, claimed they were 'spolit' - i.e. corrupted?
5. wrong wedding date printed on CDs given

Thanks so much.

Prada

I think in market, should be 1-2 mths getting the photos. Yours took 3 months should expect more beautiful photos cos of the long wait.

Item 2-5 is definitely unacceptable to even pay 4k for it.

Your should let everybody know what company is that to alert other brides to be..

michesoo

Hi Prada, yes, you are spot on. The reason why I initially didn't press the photog so hard for the photos in the first 2 months was because I was hoping to give him time to work on them with his best effort. And through it all, I was the one following up with him diligently on the progress, only to be entertained with his slow responses and excuses. Now that I have seen the soft copy of my AD, the bulk of pictures taken are cringe worthy and I am at my wits end. Between the day and night pictures, there are practically no good shots for me to develop into a 20-page album and 2 table top photos (these are part of the package). I last spoke with the photog this noon and insisted to meet up to have a look at the raw pictures and if the session does not end well, I will share the company name so that fellow BTBs can be aware. He is the chief photog (cum boss) and a regular at BOWS roadshow.

Hi JTP, thank you for your kind offer. I may need to engage your help or do you know any professionals who can edit/enhance my pictures? I have just passed my soft copies to a colleague's hubby (also a professional AD photog) for 2nd opinion hence I am unable to post or send you any samples now. However, I am able to share some of the bad experience/poor quality picture issues:

1. During banquet, only took picture of vegetarian menu instead of normal chinese menu. When enquired if he took a picture of the chinese menu, reply was "Oh I took vegetarian menu? I didn't realize because I just randomly took a menu for phototaking. I did not read the menu content." Is this acceptable? He is telling me that he blindly take pictures?

2. My stage time (cake cutting + champagne pouring), table shots and misc shots had many photo bombed moments of people/objects who/which should not be in the picture. E.g banquet manager appearing everywhere on stage with my spouse and I, and passer-bys here and there in many table shots. When enquired, reply was "You must understand this is AD, and unlike a pre-wedding shoot, I cannot control the crowd." Isn't he supposed to, as a professional, focus on the relevant subjects and if need be, caution the passer-bys politely to move away?

3. Minimal or no editing done to banquet pictures. No rich colors in pictures as many are orange-y and dull. When enquired, reply was "I have edited and given you the best. Why would I not give you and keep it for myself? It is your ballroom lighting issue hence you find the color like that." My banquet was held in Marina Mandarin Vanda ballroom and granted, it has a low ceiling and not as grand as many other ballrooms. However, similar to other hotel ballrooms, it used warm lighting and I have seen other photogs who shoot in MM Vanda ballroom produce quality work. And these photogs are in a similar league as him. How can he blame the ballroom?

4. Photog only gave me 4 pictures of my AD "outdoor" photoshoot with bridesmaids and groomsmen - all 4 pictures in the same group pose, but taken consecutively. We definitely took more than 1 pose so I questioned him and his answer was "Oh the rest all 'spoilt' so I can only give you the group photo." I clearly recalled he took my bridal gown train at this location and I was really looking forward to see it, so I voiced my disappointment and he rebutted me with exasperation "Since the rest of the pics are spoilt, if you really want, I will take your train from the video and screenshot it. Else, look at the picture of you walking up stage and you can see your train." Seriously? The walking up stage picture is blurred because I was not standing still, and the train was dangling 'vertically' downwards instead of lying horizontally on the ground. How can this be a good shot?

The above are just a few issues and it will be really lengthy if I go on. Point 4 was communicated to him on 29 Dec evening and on 30 Dec noon, he called to say "Hey good news, remember the spoilt outdoor pictures I was saying? I can give you 11 of them coz I salvaged them!" I asked if he used recovery software and reply was "No, I asked my photography friends for help. The pictures were not missing, they are there all along, just that they cannot be opened." If what he said was true, clearly he never attempted to salvage my 'spoilt' pictures when all his friends needed was less than 1 day to resolve. Isn't he intending to cheat me into believing I never took such pictures. I wonder how many more pictures he is hiding from me.

What do you folks think about his responses to my questions? Are they logical, fair and acceptable? $4k may not be alot of money to him but it is definitely an above average rate and I expected more, especially since he is a regular at BOWS and his published portfolio is pretty good. Why the shoddy work given to me? I have invested in this big event of my lifetime (which couple didn't?) and these are the memories he had given me... I really need some closure to this.

michesoo

For his replies i think he was just trying to brush you off, he already took the payment so probably he doesnt want to waste anymore time on the pictures but 4K is really a big amount for AD photography and surely for that amount of money you deserve much better than that.

There was another incident similar to yours, the bride was my wife's friend and their photographer shot about 600 pictures but mostly crappy pictures and repeated as well so the bride posted about her experience on facebook and made the photographer make a public apology on facebook. Its a very powerful tool if you know how to use it but please share their company name as well so as to warn the other brides.

Hi JTP, thanks for your offer and advice. I will probably need some time to show you the pics coz they are currently with my colleague's hubby now and I think they will only return my CDs end of this week earliest, or maybe next week. I know BOWs will be held very soon (3rd to 5th Jan) and I will be meeting my photog on 9th Jan for discussion. This is my last chance for him to fix the issues and if he doesn't, I will share his company name thereafter to serve as a warning to the rest. Reason why I am holding back now is also partly because I don't know if I am the only unlucky one and that this is an isolated case of failed photography on his part? But as you had pointed out, $4k is a substantial amount for an AD photography package and I hope other BTBs do not unknowingly sign up with him...

museatheart

thanks for the info guys. now i have an idea as to what to look out for when it comes to searching and dealing with AD photographers.

michesoo

Hi JTP, was supposed to meet him on 9th Jan 8pm but he avoided my calls & sms when I tried contacting him in the evening coz I wanted to confirm our appointment. Used my hubby's mobile to call and he answered pretty promptly, claiming that he totally forgot about our meetup because he was so busy with a pre-wedding photoshoot and had fell sick. It was so infuriating! We finally managed to meet him on 12th Jan noon and again, he had all sorts of excuses when I questioned his technical capabilities and lack of QC checks. Requested for him to re-edit some pics but he was half hearted. He did, however, offered to try speaking with my hotel banquet manager to see if a copy of my banquet chinese menu can be photographed. Pointed to him that the dishes in our 9-course dinner are not a 'fixed' package since there is a variety of dishes which couples can choose from. He said that is his problem to resolve with the banquet manager. Oh well, we'll see what he can do... Keep you guys posted again...