Paying for wedding.

westpoison

Hi, I am new here. Planning to get married next year. Would like to check how the bills are being splitted among the couple? As in should the guy pay for everything?

astutekitty

Hi WestPoison

We are sharing almost all expenses related to wedding.
This is to remind us that we work equally hard for our wedding.

To make things simple, I would suggest both of you to open a joint bank account. Depositing equal amt of funds into this account and when it comes to wedding stuff, you can use this account to pay.

After your wedding, this account can be also used as "household allowance".

pinnpinn

I have a joint account with my HTB too. We contribute 10% of our salary into that account. It's mainly for household expenses in the future and maybe wedding. For Wedding, it will be contribute as according to how much we earn (TO BE FAIR! I cant possibly paying as much as him when he's earning almost twice as much. Haha).

I agreed with astutekitty that joint account is a good choice. But not equal amount (especially when your HTB earn much more :p)

lovelynn

mine expenses are mainly and should be all will be paid by my HTB. reason being i have no savings and not earning enough. he have savings and some investment money. so far our bridal package and rings are gonna be paid by him.

like what astuetekitty and pinnpinn did. many do open joint acc and save the same amt every month. thats a very effective way i believe. but not gonna help much if the contribution is gonne b lil and yet the dates are very near. unless u can have a joint acc forhousing etc next time?

Glitzger

What if the lady is earning more? Should she contribute more then? I know some guys are not so comfortable with that idea though...for the lady to pay more... Sensitive issue.. Haiz..

pinnpinn

mine expenses are mainly and should be all will be paid by my HTB. reason being i have no savings and not earning enough. he have savings and some investment money. so far our bridal package and rings are gonna be paid by him.

like what astuetekitty and pinnpinn did. many do open joint acc and save the same amt every month. thats a very effective way i believe. but not gonna help much if the contribution is gonne b lil and yet the dates are very near. unless u can have a joint acc forhousing etc next time?

Yea. My joint account with my HTB is mainly for future household expenses. But it might cover a little for our wedding because I think we might have sufficient by mid 2013. As for the rings, of cos its paid by my HTB! haha. Everything else, will be split proportionately.

pinnpinn

What if the lady is earning more? Should she contribute more then? I know some guys are not so comfortable with that idea though...for the lady to pay more... Sensitive issue.. Haiz..

I dont have the issue though! We are quite open with it and he understand that girls spend more and that we need our own separate savings for own personal indulgence

poshberries

Hi, I am new here. Planning to get married next year. Would like to check how the bills are being splitted among the couple? As in should the guy pay for everything?

Hi, as much as my heart is telling me that the guy should be the only one forking every cent out for my wedding. My mind is telling me otherwise. My boyfriend & I will be saving together for our joint account. We save 50% each monthly into the bank. However sometimes if my other half is tight on budget, I do not mind saving more. I do not think it is a big concern if your other half is not earning alot. This will ease him or her off the burden. Since you & your partner have decided to come together for a marriage, I do not think you should feel it is his or her anymore. A couple should be able to go through thick & thin and share burdens together. Instead of being calculative of who will fork out or save more. If you have this mindset now, what will become the future then? In the near future, I truly believe you & him will even have to encounter more financial issues. So if you can put this matter asside, I am very sure if one day you need his help, he will be more than willing to lend you his best. Hope this helps. Thanks!

pinnpinn

Wow! 50% is alot! We are only contributing like 10% :X Maybe ours is more like future household expenses rather than for the wedding!

kimchoo

hmm...i think the 2 of you would hv to talk about this to see what is a comfortable arrangement...good to hv the joint account so both parties will remember they are both responsible and need to contribute to their lives together! :)

mellowhearts

I think the joint account is an excellent idea because the money the two of you pool in together can go into combined expenses in time to come, be it renovations, bills, etc etc. Would be helpful if along the way, both of you discuss the uses for the money in this joint account - maybe some don't think shopping should be paid for using money from this account; some would think this money is strictly a savings account and expenses should be a separate one..? Good to communicate financial issues which is a big matter in a marriage! ;)

rojak

i'm doing it pinnpinn's way, of having a joint account and contributing a percentage of your salary every month.. i am an advocate that whoever earns more should provide more, thus the percentage and not a fixed amount. it also means you earn more, you keep more money to yourself too! so it's really fair :) but we put in way more.. 10% i dunno what we can do with the money! maybe coz we're earning less too.. so it's 70-80%! also coz it's not just for wedding, but for ALL our joint expenses.. so we save all the remaining 20-30% / spend on our own stuff.

pinnpinn

i'm doing it pinnpinn's way, of having a joint account and contributing a percentage of your salary every month.. i am an advocate that whoever earns more should provide more, thus the percentage and not a fixed amount. it also means you earn more, you keep more money to yourself too! so it's really fair :) but we put in way more.. 10% i dunno what we can do with the money! maybe coz we're earning less too.. so it's 70-80%! also coz it's not just for wedding, but for ALL our joint expenses.. so we save all the remaining 20-30% / spend on our own stuff.

Ahh... I think because each of us have our own commitments? HTB needs to feed his car, contribute household expenses. I'm giving my parents around 20-30% of my salary. And he understand I need my own 私房钱 on top of my everyday saving account. Hehe. But I guess in future we will contribute more. And all our extra bonus goes into the account too :)

fy5fo

It's also handy to have your personal savings account so that you buy surprise gifts for each other!

magicdust

for my case, it will be split proportionally as per our earnings.
setting up a joint account is good as all expenses can be shared. if he wants to contribute more, go ahead.. same as me. if i get bonus for that month i'll transfer more in.

things HTB paid all by himself:
1) engagment ring (DUH! hee)
2) wedding bands

chloelee

for me, bridal, photography, banquet 40/60, the rest htb pays for them =p he earns more than me anyway so he shud pay more :tongue:

pinnpinn

thats what my HTB told me too! (Our joint account is more for future household expenses and downpayment for the house) Wedding wise, it's 40/60

satinshoes

The HTB has to pay for the engagement ring! Other than that, we are ok sharing the expenses for everything else. The prospect of getting married = needing to start sharing finances. Still adjusting!

tracylim

I wanna be tai tai haha so I help out in paying for part of the wedding while he takes care of the house repayment :tongue: